Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

simple question about cluster size increase

Contributor

Hi

I am installing Cloudera Manager , Spark and Hadoop on 1 master and 5 slave computers.

Later on, I am planning to get 3 more slave computers after a few months.

Can I simply increase the size of my cluster using manager UI ? Will that result in all the packages being installed on the new computers and increase in cluster size?

Thnaks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

Yes, you can add extra nodes to the cluster even though you have used the non-production installation path. The difference between the two installation paths is the database backing the services. The non-prod version uses an embedded database, while the prod version relies on a stand alone database such as MySql.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rising Star

Yes you can join additional nodes to existing cluster using Cloudera Manager. Its a simple process of distributing the parcels and agents to new nodes and activating roles as needed. You can enter the process by selecting Hosts -> All Hosts, then Add new hosts to cluster.

Contributor

thank you for clarifying.

I am taking the non-production mode  , does this mode allow for cluster size increases like you described ?

Or must we have production mode in the first place to allow any sort of cluster size increase ?

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/cm_ig_non_production.html 

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/installation_installation.html 

Rising Star

Yes, you can add extra nodes to the cluster even though you have used the non-production installation path. The difference between the two installation paths is the database backing the services. The non-prod version uses an embedded database, while the prod version relies on a stand alone database such as MySql.