Explorer

spark-hbase connector expired ticket kerberos

Hi,

I have a cluster with CDH 5.8.4. I'm runnin a spark streaming application which reads and writes data from/to HBase by using the cloudera spark-hbase connector namely the HBaseContext.

When I start the application I give the principal and the kinit to the spark-submit script.

I'm seeing that after 7 days the application crashed with an error about the expiration of the ticket kerberos related to the HBase context. This is the error from the executors log:

ERROR executor.Executor: Exception in task 0.0 in stage 544265.0 (TID 1149098)
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RetriesExhaustedException: Can't get the location
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCallerWithReadReplicas.getRegionLocations(RpcRetryingCallerWithReadReplicas.java
:326)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ScannerCallableWithReplicas.call(ScannerCallableWithReplicas.java:157)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ScannerCallableWithReplicas.call(ScannerCallableWithReplicas.java:61)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller.callWithoutRetries(RpcRetryingCaller.java:200)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ClientScanner.call(ClientScanner.java:320)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ClientScanner.nextScanner(ClientScanner.java:295)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ClientScanner.initializeScannerInConstruction(ClientScanner.java:160)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ClientScanner.<init>(ClientScanner.java:155)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HTable.getScanner(HTable.java:867)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.TableRecordReaderImpl.restart(TableRecordReaderImpl.java:91)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.TableRecordReaderImpl.initialize(TableRecordReaderImpl.java:169)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.TableRecordReader.initialize(TableRecordReader.java:134)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.TableInputFormatBase$1.initialize(TableInputFormatBase.java:211)
        at org.apache.spark.rdd.NewHadoopRDD$$anon$1.<init>(NewHadoopRDD.scala:164)
        at org.apache.spark.rdd.NewHadoopRDD.compute(NewHadoopRDD.scala:129)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.spark.NewHBaseRDD.compute(NewHBaseRDD.scala:34)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.spark.NewHBaseRDD.compute(NewHBaseRDD.scala:25)
        at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.computeOrReadCheckpoint(RDD.scala:306)
        at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.iterator(RDD.scala:270)
        at org.apache.spark.rdd.MapPartitionsRDD.compute(MapPartitionsRDD.scala:38)
        at org.apache.spark.rdd.MapPartitionsRDD.compute(MapPartitionsRDD.scala:38)
        at org.apache.spark.scheduler.ResultTask.runTask(ResultTask.scala:66)
        at org.apache.spark.scheduler.Task.run(Task.scala:89)
at org.apache.spark.executor.Executor$TaskRunner.run(Executor.scala:214)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: org.apache.hadoop.security.token.SecretManager$InvalidToken: Token has expired
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor58.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException.instantiateException(RemoteException.java:106)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException.unwrapRemoteException(RemoteException.java:95)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.protobuf.ProtobufUtil.getRemoteException(ProtobufUtil.java:327)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.protobuf.ProtobufUtil.getRowOrBefore(ProtobufUtil.java:1593)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation.locateRegionInMeta(ConnectionManager.java:1398)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation.locateRegion(ConnectionManager.java:1199)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCallerWithReadReplicas.getRegionLocations(RpcRetryingCallerWithReadReplicas.java:315)
        ... 30 more
Caused by: org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException(org.apache.hadoop.security.token.SecretManager$InvalidToken): Token has expired
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.security.HBaseSaslRpcClient.readStatus(HBaseSaslRpcClient.java:155)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.security.HBaseSaslRpcClient.saslConnect(HBaseSaslRpcClient.java:222)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection.setupSaslConnection(RpcClientImpl.java:617)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection.access$700(RpcClientImpl.java:162)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection$2.run(RpcClientImpl.java:743)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection$2.run(RpcClientImpl.java:740)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:422)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1783)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection.setupIOstreams(RpcClientImpl.java:740)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection.writeRequest(RpcClientImpl.java:906)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection.tracedWriteRequest(RpcClientImpl.java:873)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl.call(RpcClientImpl.java:1242)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.AbstractRpcClient.callBlockingMethod(AbstractRpcClient.java:227)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.AbstractRpcClient$BlockingRpcChannelImplementation.callBlockingMethod(AbstractRpcClient.java:336)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.protobuf.generated.ClientProtos$ClientService$BlockingStub.get(ClientProtos.java:34070)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.protobuf.ProtobufUtil.getRowOrBefore(ProtobufUtil.java:1589)

Does anyone knows how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Beniamino

Cloudera Employee

Re: spark-hbase connector expired ticket kerberos

Actually, what you are observing is documented here

The following limitations apply to Spark applications that access HBase in a Kerberized cluster:

Let us know if this answers your question.

Explorer

Thank you for getting back to me.

I'm wondering if it is possible to use Hbase with a spark streaming application in a Kerberized cluster without restarting the application every 7 days.

I would like to know if exists a best practice (or just some example) of how to istantiate an hbase connection for each executor.

I tried to istantiate a connection on the driver and sending it to executors using a broadcast variable but this solution didn't worked out because hbase connection object is not serializable.

Have you already faced and maybe solved this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Beniamino

Highlighted
Cloudera Employee

Hi Beniamino,
I am not very sure about your 2nd question but regarding the expired kerberos ticket, this has been fixed in CDH 5.12+ or (depending on whether you are using java/python) you can call UserGroupInformation.checkTGTAndReloginFromKeytab() periodically, before each put per rdd partition. 

Announcements