Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Quickstart VM/VMWare/Windows 7. VM starts, gets Firefox screen, but Hue/CM never finish "Loading"

Explorer

I installed VMWare Player, on Window 7, and downloaded the 7zip file and extracted it, etc etc.   I can start the VM, I get the colorful splash screen and Firefox opens with the buttons for Hue and Cloudera Manager.  Clicking on either of the buttons opens a browser page and I see "Hue" and "Loading ...."   and " ... this may take a few minutes...".   But neither of them ever finishes "Loading".   Half an hour ought to be enough.

I see YouTube videos of it, so there must be just something wrong here, not wrong with VMWare or the VM file

any idea?

thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

finally tried Workstation instead of VMWare Player, got it to work, so maybe that is a difference, I dont know

In any case I have CM up and running!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Explorer
My Windows is 64bit, I am sure I got everything at 64

Explorer

this is getting tiresome.  I went and got VirtualBox, and got the VirtualBox image from Cloudera, and got it all ready to go and when starting, it failed right away with 

Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5

Command line ...... [a long set of switches]  rc=-104

There is a youtube video from someone not at Cloudera, and he did the same steps as I did and it worked.

So what is up?  I hoped the VMs would be reliable and make customers happy etc

Explorer

sorry to say, but this is getting more troubling all the time.  I thought I would go to the trouble of using the VMWare to go ahead and install a red hat 6 image, and then figured the free Cloudera Express version might be installable in it.

so I spent a long time trying to actually get the download of Express.  the page for it has a button saying "Download" and all it does is take me to the demo page for "Cloudera Live".   Thats not what I want.  I have tried the demo, but it doesnt seem to give me all the functionality of CDH with a Cloudera Manager managing it.  I have seen videos that appear to show the whole thing and there is a lot there that I cant find in the demo

So whats with the Express version having a nice big page on the website, but nothing to let you get the download???

Explorer

ok, I finally found a page where it did take me to a download for Cloudera Manager for Express.  Still, the other places need to be considered - others will get the same frustration.   Of course, I am very much a newbie and maybe others wouldnt be puzzled by what I have been puzzled by

Explorer

finally tried Workstation instead of VMWare Player, got it to work, so maybe that is a difference, I dont know

In any case I have CM up and running!

New Contributor

I am also facing same issue, where quickVM doesn't start and vanishes after sometime. Can you please share the resolution you found to solve this problem?

Please start a new thread and detail all the steps you took till the problem occurs.

Regards,
Gautam Gopalakrishnan

Explorer

Hi

See above [7-21-2014] where I said I tried VMWare Workstation instead of VMWare Player

Master Collaborator

fletcher,

You have pointed out a flaw in our IA, for sure. We'll get that fixed.