New Contributor

Is SSH Action in oozie deprecated or not recommended to use?

I want to understand why the oozie documentation says that the SSH Action is deprecated. While in the latest releases they have the SSH Action.

I also have searched in Apache JIRA for this. Reference. Which says that SSH actions are supported and will be supported in the future.

Secondly, one question that bugs me is why is it not recommended to use the SSH action?

Cloudera Employee

Re: Is SSH Action in oozie deprecated or not recommended to use?

You are referencing a real old jira which was resolved, and the action is still supported.

In the oozie documentation we keep I am not able to find the deprecation message.

SSH actions has limitations in its usage, that is why we do not recommend it.

Wilfred

Kudos: 325
Solutions: 262

The deprecation message on page http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh5/cdh/5/oozie/WorkflowFunctionalSpec.html#a3.2.5_Ssh_Action alludes to the SSH action's support in the core Workflow schema. Historically Oozie once did support an inbuilt SSH action as part of its WF schema but due to security concerns it was removed. The documented message exists to avoid people referencing the original SSH action.

Later, a better version was re-added after popular demand, but this was added as an extension schema that you see documented at http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh5/cdh/5/oozie/DG_SshActionExtension.html instead. This is the one you use today.

These SSH actions are certain not deprecated and its features can be used without worry. The only standing advice is to use it only if absolutely necessary, cause its execution style is rather non-distributed.
Cloudera Employee

There is an open jira in Apache Oozie for that documentation issue: OOZIE-1283 So you can ignore that one and use the action extension as documented in the link given.

Wilfred

Explorer

my problem is that, run "ls" or"pwd" or "mkdir dirtest" or "java -version" with ssh action is successful. but, when i run "sqlplus","sqlplus user/pass","sqlplus user/pass@localhost/pdb1 @test.sql " is failed and there is not any useful log in "log" tab or "oozie-oozie" directory. and you know i want execute some oracle sql statement bu oozie ssh action. help!.

Cloudera Employee

You have to do all the work yourself: you get a clean environment with just the basics. Anything you need to setup you have to do yourself. There is nothing that is configured and you cannot assume anything.

You would need to make sure that sqlplus and all dependencies are on the path and available.

Wilfred 

Explorer

thank you very much.!

"get a clean environment with just the basics. Anything you need to setup you have to do yourself....."  it sounds difficult to build oracle environment ..

i have input "export ORACLE_SID=some_path export ORACLE_HOME=some_path etc.." in the oozie ssh action and then "sqlplus"  cammand executed successfully, i think it only means that "sqlplus" command can be found in the environment,however,commands such as "sqlplus user/pass" and "sqlplus user/pass@host/oracle_sid@some.sql" is failed,you know oracle's security strategy isn't simple.

do you have any suggestion? thanks!

Highlighted
Cloudera Employee

The easiest way is to check what is set when you login and things work for you. Oracle requirements change per version and the best way forward is copy from a working install and make sure that everything that is set there is set in the action that is executed.

Wilfred

Announcements