Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

MR job Split locations null

Rising Star

I am running a mapreduce job, calculating the split locations and I see job.split and job.splitmetainfo files contain the locations, but mapper side it is prining the locations null

CDH enterprise 5.14.0

Sep 7, 9:16:49.300 AM INFO org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask
Processing split: AccInputSplit [splitId=174, locations=[null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null], splitLength=516537674]

anybody seen like this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mentor

> but getLocations() is fine, we are using fair scheduler, which should take getLocations() and schedule the job to according to data localituy right?

I'm not sure I entirely follow. Do you mean to say you return constant values as part of getLocations() in your implementation of AccInputSplit? If that is so, then yes I believe it should work. In that case, could you share masked snippets from your implementation of toString() and getLocations() for a closer look?

However, if your getLocations() is intended to be dynamic then you must absolutely and correctly implement the write/readFields serialization methods. This is because the resource requests are made by the Application Master after it reads and understands the splits file prepared by the client (client calls write to serialize the split objects, AM calls readFields to deserialize them). If your readFields is a dummy method, then the objects constructed in the AM runtime will not carry all the data you intended it to carry from the client end.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mentor
Are you certain your custom split class' readFields method is initialising
the locations correctly when deserialising? I can only guess at what's
wrong for this specific situation without the relevant source bits, sorry.

The tasks all receive the same splits file you've inspected.

Does a local job runner test work fine?

Rising Star

>>> your custom split class' readFields method

I will investigate this, update this thread, thanks

Rising Star

@Harsh J you are right readFields is just a dummy,

but getLocations() is fine, we are using fair scheduler, which should take getLocations() and schedule the job to according to data localituy right?

Mentor

> but getLocations() is fine, we are using fair scheduler, which should take getLocations() and schedule the job to according to data localituy right?

I'm not sure I entirely follow. Do you mean to say you return constant values as part of getLocations() in your implementation of AccInputSplit? If that is so, then yes I believe it should work. In that case, could you share masked snippets from your implementation of toString() and getLocations() for a closer look?

However, if your getLocations() is intended to be dynamic then you must absolutely and correctly implement the write/readFields serialization methods. This is because the resource requests are made by the Application Master after it reads and understands the splits file prepared by the client (client calls write to serialize the split objects, AM calls readFields to deserialize them). If your readFields is a dummy method, then the objects constructed in the AM runtime will not carry all the data you intended it to carry from the client end.

Rising Star

Thanks for the help,

proper implmentation of readfields solved the problem.