New Contributor

Access to Kerberized Hive for write access

Hello,

I'm trying to build a java application that should connect to a kerberized Cloudera (cdh5.11.2). Especially I need to write data into a hive table (and/or create that table, avro scheme, etc...).

Write acess to HDFS would be nice too. 

I am able to login with a keytab file. And I am able to connect with hive with the cloudera hive jdbc driver. However (and I am aware that the manual says so) write access is not possible. 

Is there another way to achieve this? Another driver? 

Thanks and best regards,

Chris

Highlighted
Topics: 14
Kudos: 90
Solutions: 45

Re: Access to Kerberized Hive for write access

@Teradil

If you can login with keytab file then you are good with kerberos part. Also you have mentioned that you can read the table but issue with write access then it should be controlled via apache sentry, it will enforce precise levels of privileges on data. Either Sentry admin has to give write access to your user id for that particular DB (or) you have to be part of the group who already has write access to that DB

New Contributor

Thanks fort he hint.

Assuming I just run cloudera within a virtual machine (the demo image) what exactly would I need to do?

Topics: 14
Kudos: 90
Solutions: 45

@Teradil

Before we go in detail, i want to make sure that you have apache sentry service configured in your cluster, if so go to hue and open sentry from top menu then 

1. add the role with write access to the required db and assign the role to your UID or a group that you are part of that

(or)

2. identify who already has write permission then get their group id (which has write access to the db), be part of that group

New Contributor

Okay, I have sentry installed and configed as security service for hue.
I can see the security browser, selected the server and data base, but I cannot edit or add roles, privileges or anything.

(Still, I'm using the quickstart VM with nothing changed except the kerberization and now sentry installed)

Announcements