Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Beeline- unable to insert data

Hi

Uploading the data from HDFS or from local works but it shows NULL value in every column instead of data. Kindly help :-

while loading the data from HDFS:-

0: jdbc:hive2://localhost:10000> create table transaction(sr int,id int,amount int,product string,city string,date string);
No rows affected (0.114 seconds)
0: jdbc:hive2://localhost:10000> show tables;
+---------------+--+
|   tab_name    |
+---------------+--+
| transaction   |
| transaction1  |
+---------------+--+
2 rows selected (0.046 seconds)
0: jdbc:hive2://localhost:10000> load data inpath '/priyanka/txn' into table transaction;
No rows affected (0.568 seconds)
0: jdbc:hive2://localhost:10000> select * from transaction;
+-----------------+-----------------+---------------------+----------------------+-------------------+-------------------+--+
| transaction.sr  | transaction.id  | transaction.amount  | transaction.product  | transaction.city  | transaction.date  |
+-----------------+-----------------+---------------------+----------------------+-------------------+-------------------+--+
| NULL            | NULL            | NULL                | NULL                 | NULL              | NULL              |
| NULL            | NULL            | NULL                | NULL                 | NULL              | NULL              |
7 rows selected (0.154 seconds)

2) while loading the data from local:-

0: jdbc:hive2://localhost:10000> LOAD DATA LOCAL INPATH 'home/cloudera/txn' INTO table transaction1;
No rows affected (2.394 seconds)
0: jdbc:hive2://localhost:10000> select * from transaction1;
+------------------+------------------+----------------------+-----------------------+--------------------+--------------------+--+
| transaction1.sr  | transaction1.id  | transaction1.amount  | transaction1.product  | transaction1.city  | transaction1.date  |
+------------------+------------------+----------------------+-----------------------+--------------------+--------------------+--+
| NULL             | NULL             | NULL                 | NULL                  | NULL               | NULL               |
| NULL             | NULL             | NULL                 | NULL                  | NULL               | NULL               |
7 rows selected (1.279 seconds)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Rising Star

I think the problem is that you havent defined what the ROW FORMAT is for your hive table. hive needs to understand how to separate rows in the inputfile (think the default is '\n') and how to separate columns from each row (I am not certain on what the default is but guessing that it might be COMMA)

CREATE TABLE test(name STRING, value STRING) ROW FORMAT
DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY ','
LINES TERMINATED BY '\n';

cat test.txt

name1,value1,

name2,value2,

name3,value3

then load the file above

LOAD DATA LOCAL INPATH '/tmp/test.txt' INTO TABLE test;

select * from test;

this should work.

If you can provide the content of your file, I can give you a more specific answer.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Rising Star
There are multiple ways to load data into your hive table.
1) Local file using "load data local inpath". Please be aware that if you are running this from beeline, this path actually refers to the local file on the HiveServer2 node because HS2 is the service actually executing this command not beeline.
2) Load from HDFS path using "load data inpath". Notice that there is no "LOCAL" keyword in the command. This indicates that this is a HDFS path.
3) Load from another hive table, like
insert into table A select * from B where B.col1 > 100;
4) Or you could add a file to the HDFS directory for a hive table, and it will pick up.
create table A (b int) location '/tmp/tableA';
you can add files to HDFS path '/tmp/tableA' directory and hive will see this data for table A.

Please accept this solution if I have answered your questions on this topic.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Rising Star

I think the problem is that you havent defined what the ROW FORMAT is for your hive table. hive needs to understand how to separate rows in the inputfile (think the default is '\n') and how to separate columns from each row (I am not certain on what the default is but guessing that it might be COMMA)

CREATE TABLE test(name STRING, value STRING) ROW FORMAT
DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY ','
LINES TERMINATED BY '\n';

cat test.txt

name1,value1,

name2,value2,

name3,value3

then load the file above

LOAD DATA LOCAL INPATH '/tmp/test.txt' INTO TABLE test;

select * from test;

this should work.

If you can provide the content of your file, I can give you a more specific answer.

Hope this helps

Thanks. I want to know something. Is it necessary that I need to put the file in /tmp location. Can't it work from anyother location from HDFS. Suppose if I have a file on /hello/employee.txt . Can't I use this employee.txt file from this path to load the data.

Rising Star
There are multiple ways to load data into your hive table.
1) Local file using "load data local inpath". Please be aware that if you are running this from beeline, this path actually refers to the local file on the HiveServer2 node because HS2 is the service actually executing this command not beeline.
2) Load from HDFS path using "load data inpath". Notice that there is no "LOCAL" keyword in the command. This indicates that this is a HDFS path.
3) Load from another hive table, like
insert into table A select * from B where B.col1 > 100;
4) Or you could add a file to the HDFS directory for a hive table, and it will pick up.
create table A (b int) location '/tmp/tableA';
you can add files to HDFS path '/tmp/tableA' directory and hive will see this data for table A.

Please accept this solution if I have answered your questions on this topic.

New Contributor

we are facing another ISSSUE: inserted only partial number of rows. The source table has 7,070,150,676. The insert query ran and we could see that from the source table same number of rows were transferred and beeline end screenshot also shows numRows = 7,070,150,676 but in the target hive table only 500,912,361 many rows were inserted.

The user is using QueryGrid.

Please hekp us to find the issue.