Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Cannot select * from tables in hive

Explorer

After upgrading to a new version of CM, I am unable to list my tables in hive. 

select * from prod_83.std_clnt_sku limit 5;

Error: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: SemanticException Unable to determine if hdfs://nameservice1/user/hive/warehouse/prod_83.db/std_clnt_sku is encrypted: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Wrong FS: hdfs://nameservice1/user/hive/warehouse/prod_83.db/std_clnt_sku, expected: hdfs://zeus.corpdom.com:8020 (state=42000,code=40000)

The Location of the database is listed as:

hdfs://nameservice1/user/hive/warehouse/prod_83.db/std_clnt_sku

I can see it inside hdfs as 

drwxrwx--x+ - analytics sentry_rwx 0 2016-10-17 09:49 /user/hive/warehouse/prod_83.db/std_clnt_sku

Can you help me solve this problem?

Thank You

Jamie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Champion

Did you enable High Availability by any chance?

Did you chance your dfs.nameservices by any chance?

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Champion

Since you update nameservice just now, it may require a restart! not sure... pls query after cluster restart! it may help

Explorer

I have restarted the cluster and I am still seeing 

select * from nz_test;
Error: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: SemanticException Unable to determine if hdfs://nameservice1/user/hive/warehouse/nz_test is encrypted: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Wrong FS: hdfs://nameservice1/user/hive/warehouse/nz_test, expected: hdfs://zeus.corpdom.com:8020 (state=42000,code=40000)

I dont understand why the expected result is not changing.

THank You

Jamie

Explorer

Would the HA have anything to do with this? Before it had a master and secondary master and now it has a namenode and secondary name node. I am going to try and set up HA again and see what happens.

Thank You

Champion

Champion

If not aware already, do not get confuse with /apps/hive/warehouse/ 

in Cloudera Hive meta store databases are usually created under /user/hive/warehouse where as in Hortonworks distribution it is usually under /apps/hive/warehouse/

bottom line of that link is to make sure the Hive Warehouse Directory should be match in all possible areas

Explorer

I do not have that metatool on the metastore anywhere. Is it installed with Cloudera Manager?

Thank You

Champion

From your examples, i hope you are getting this issue for almost all the tables....

1. Can you try to access the table from Impala?

2. Pls do not forget to execute "invalidate metadata table"

3. Are you getting this issue for only existing tables? Can you create a new table in hive and test it? if new table works, compare the configuration difference between old & new tables

Explorer

Yes that is correct all tables show same results. 

I can create a new table and the location is set to zeus.corpdom.com and I can view that table fine. It is looking like this is coming from the cluster not in HA anymore. I believe the namespace1 is available only when you have 2 masters. I will be putting this cluster into HA mode tomorrow to try that out. 

I have not tried Impala yet, since I do not have that installed. I can install that as well and try it out.

Thank you so much

Jamie

Explorer

I re-enabled HA and these queries started working again.

Thank You so much

Jamie

Champion

@cpuengr happy to hear it is working now!!