Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Connecting tableau to cloudera hive

New Contributor

Hi, I am trying to connect tableau to hadoop but i am facing the following error. could someone suggest how to resolve the issue please.

error as follows:

Unable to connect to the ODBC Data Source. Check that the necessary drivers are installed and that the connection properties are valid.
[Cloudera][Hardy] (34) Error from server: connect() failed: errno = 10060.
Unable to connect to the server "10.0.2.15". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Hi,

Can you check if the port is reachable from the Tableau computer? You might have a firewall or other network restriction in between.

For beeline migration, you can check our blogpost:
https://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2014/02/migrating-from-hive-cli-to-beeline-a-primer/

You may use beeline on the computer tableau is installed, to verify if hive is reachable.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Expert Contributor

Hello HN,

Do you have the Hive ODBC driver installed for tableau?

Please also check that the configured IP address is points to a HiveServer2 instance, and the required ports on that ip is reachable from the tableau node.

Zsolt

New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the revert. Yes, latest Hive odbcdriver is installed.

1- IP address - i got it by checking ifconfig.

2 - port for hiveserver2 is10000 which i have given.

but still it does not connect.

Also when i run hive --service hiveserver2 in the terminal it it gives the following message - hive cli is deprecated and migration to beeline is recommended.

I am not sure what to do.

Regards,
anil HN

Expert Contributor

Hi,

Can you check if the port is reachable from the Tableau computer? You might have a firewall or other network restriction in between.

For beeline migration, you can check our blogpost:
https://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2014/02/migrating-from-hive-cli-to-beeline-a-primer/

You may use beeline on the computer tableau is installed, to verify if hive is reachable.

New Contributor

Hi,

sry i was out of station and could not reply back.

Yes, I got to cnnect to tableau after resolving the firewall issue. we need to make the port reachable.

thanks a lot.

regards,

Anil HN

New Contributor

Hello,

How are you able to resolve the firewall issue, can you tell me the steps you followed to make the port reachable.Can you please elaborate.

Thanks in advance.

New Contributor

@HN Hi guys, i had same issue so I got it fixed by following the step 3 (Configuration of the ODBC Driver) from this website (https://towardsdatascience.com/connecting-apache-hive-to-microsoft-power-bi-d460e2278720). It usually shows how to connect to Power BI but the configuration part is same for tableau as well. Hope it helps.😊