HN
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Connecting tableau to cloudera hive

Hi, I am trying to connect tableau to hadoop but i am facing the following error. could someone suggest how to resolve the issue please.

error as follows:

Unable to connect to the ODBC Data Source. Check that the necessary drivers are installed and that the connection properties are valid.
[Cloudera][Hardy] (34) Error from server: connect() failed: errno = 10060.
Unable to connect to the server "10.0.2.15". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

Cloudera Employee

Re: Connecting tableau to cloudera hive

Hello HN,

Do you have the Hive ODBC driver installed for tableau?

Please also check that the configured IP address is points to a HiveServer2 instance, and the required ports on that ip is reachable from the tableau node.

Zsolt

HN
New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the revert. Yes, latest Hive odbcdriver is installed.

1- IP address - i got it by checking ifconfig.

2 - port for hiveserver2 is10000 which i have given.

but still it does not connect.

Also when i run hive --service hiveserver2 in the terminal it it gives the following message - hive cli is deprecated and migration to beeline is recommended.

I am not sure what to do.

Regards,
anil HN

Cloudera Employee

Hi,

Can you check if the port is reachable from the Tableau computer? You might have a firewall or other network restriction in between.

For beeline migration, you can check our blogpost:
https://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2014/02/migrating-from-hive-cli-to-beeline-a-primer/

You may use beeline on the computer tableau is installed, to verify if hive is reachable.

HN
New Contributor

Hi,

sry i was out of station and could not reply back.

Yes, I got to cnnect to tableau after resolving the firewall issue. we need to make the port reachable.

thanks a lot.

regards,

Anil HN

Announcements