Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive JDBC drivers support to execute multiple SQL Statements

New Contributor

Hi,

I have written a java program to execute SQL statements on hive using Cloudera hive JDBC driver. When I try to execute multiple SQL statements separated by a semicolon, driver throwing an error - Error while compiling statement: FAILED: ParseException line 1:36 cannot recognize input near ';' '<EOF>' '<EOF>' in table source. Is it possible to execute multiple SQL statements using Hive JDBC driver.

7 REPLIES 7

Super Guru
This is not supported, you just need to call execute() for each query.

New Contributor

Hi EricL,

Is there any plan in feature to support this feature?

Super Guru
Sorry, I am not aware of this.

Is there any particular use case that you need to rely on this feature?

New Contributor

We have a client interface to interact with hadoop hive through hive jdbc drivers. Through client interface, it is possible to connect to dirrerent databases like db2, teradata, hadoop and aster. In interface, customer can run multiple queries seperated by "," when it is connected to db2 or teradata but unable to run multiple queries when it is connected to hadoop hive. The customer wants this feature in our client interface.

Super Guru
Let me check this internally for you. Will get back to you later on this.

Contributor

How about loading a .hql file with multiple queries in it?

Rising Star

executing a file with multiple queries in it should work. But each statement is executed individually and is non-atomic (they are not executed within a single transaction). Please post exceptions or errors if this has not worked for you.