Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive lock left behind

Explorer

Hi,

we run Cloudera Express 5.7.0 on a cluster of 29 machines (2 name nodes, 22 data nodes, 5 dedicated zookeeper servers). All machines run CentOs 6.7.

We have an external table in Hive, which we use in 3 different ways:

1. ingest new data at regular pace through the day;
  2. run queries / workflows for data mining;
  3. perform cleanup -- a procedure that triggers once per day and deletes data older than x days.

Every now and then, we notice the cleanup failing because of not being able to acquire the lock on the table. Specifically, the method is called from bash as

hive -e "ALTER TABLE table DROP PARTITION (...)"

and what we would get back is

Unable to acquire IMPLICIT, EXCLUSIVE lock default@table@...(partitions info) after 100 attempts. FAILED: Error in acquiring locks: Locks on the underlying objects cannot be acquired. retry after some time

In order to work around the issue, we restart the whole Hive service, and the problem goes away. Annoying!

I tried to debug the issue a bit, but have hard time figuring out how to continue. Since today it happened again, I thought about sharing my findings with you all and try to seek some help 🙂 I apologize in advance for the very long text.

- If I run show locks default.table partition (...) in hive, I see there is an active lock:

1 default@table@(partitions info) SHARED

2 LOCK_QUERYID:hive_20161007081717_9543c9b3-dde1-4b8d-942c-979a091b3eae

3 LOCK_TIME:1475828283643 --- Fri, 07 Oct 2016 08:18:03.643 GMT

4 LOCK_MODE:IMPLICIT

5 LOCK_QUERYSTRING: ...

By the look of things, the LOCK_QUERYSTRING is a query submitted via Hue by one of cluster users.

- in HiveHistoryServer, I can find a job, submitted at Fri Oct 07 08:19:52 UTC 2016 that runs the specific query LOCK_QUERYSTRING. Notice that it is a bit weird that submitted time is a bit later than lock_time, even though they are very close -- is it really this job? unsure. Assuming the job is correct, it is flagged as State: SUCCEEDED

- in Zookeeper, via zookeeper-client, I see the lock

[zk: localhost:2181(CONNECTED) 5] get /hive_zookeeper_namespace_hive/default/table/(partitions info)/LOCK-SHARED-0000000000

hive_20161007081717_9543c9b3-dde1-4b8d-942c-979a091b3eae:1475828283643:

IMPLICIT:

(LOCK_QUERYSTRING)

- I can find the machine in the Zookeeper ensemble, let us call it ZK1, which hosts the connection to the lock by running echo cons | ncat 127.0.0.1 2181

/10.0.0.6:38266[1](queued=0,recved=412004,sent=412078,sid=0x456d6bab545a8ef,lop=PING,est=1474622333769,to=40000,lcxid=0x4cfac,lzxid=0xffffffffffffffff,lresp=1475916179148,llat=0,minlat=0,avglat=0,maxlat=19)

- machine+port number, ie 10.0.0.6:38266, points to HiveServer2. No queries are running.

- if I take a stack trace of HiveServer2 I see, among other things,

Thread 59 (HiveServer2-Handler-Pool: Thread-47-EventThread):
State: WAITING
Blocked count: 3
Wtaited count: 76
Waiting on java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject@8e6f2b0
Stack:
sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(LockSupport.java:186)
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject.await(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:2043)
java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(LinkedBlockingQueue.java:442)
org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$EventThread.run(ClientCnxn.java:494)
Thread 58 (HiveServer2-Handler-Pool: Thread-47-SendThread(ZK1)):
State: RUNNABLE
Blocked count: 1925
Wtaited count: 0
Stack:
sun.nio.ch.EPollArrayWrapper.epollWait(Native Method)
sun.nio.ch.EPollArrayWrapper.poll(EPollArrayWrapper.java:269)
sun.nio.ch.EPollSelectorImpl.doSelect(EPollSelectorImpl.java:79)
sun.nio.ch.SelectorImpl.lockAndDoSelect(SelectorImpl.java:87)
sun.nio.ch.SelectorImpl.select(SelectorImpl.java:98)
org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxnSocketNIO.doTransport(ClientCnxnSocketNIO.java:338)
org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$SendThread.run(ClientCnxn.java:1081)

Ie, it looks like resources at HiveServer2 are doing something related to the Zookeeper machine involved in the issue.

- After restarting Hive, the stack trace has no such thing any more, and the cleanup succeeds.

I Googled a bit for epollWait and found bugs like http://bugs.java.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6403933 , ie a bug in Java libraries could be the reason for the expected behavior. On the other hand, it seems like the bug impacts on CPU utilization, and I have no evidences of it (did not pay attention to it).

Given all this, do you have any hint for debugging the issue further?

Thanks and regards,

Filippo

6 REPLIES 6

Super Collaborator

Hi,

When it happens again you can workaround the issue by deleting the lock inside zookeeper.

This will be easier and quicker than restarting Hive.

But this will not solve the issue.

For this kind of tricky issue I would open a ticket for Cloudera support.

regards,

mathieu

Explorer

Hi,

thanks for your reply!

I can see how to do that using zookeeper client command. However, I am a bit concerned of few aspects of the proposed strategy:

- before deleting anything, we have to identify the offending lock. That requires some manual fiddling, which takes some time and is error prone. Automating the whole process is an option, but it feels like  investing energy in the wrong direction;

- once we delete the node on zookeeper side, we are deliberately violating the expected semantics of the zookeeper library. How does it handle a lock disappearing all of a sudden? Is this even supposed to happen?

Let's see if anyone else land in this page and is willing to share thoughts with us 🙂
Btw, with "I would open a ticket for Cloudera support" were you referring to the opportunity Cloudera Enterprise users have to talk directly to Cloudera people? Because unfortunately we are not at that stage...yet!

Thanks once more and regards,

Filippo

Super Collaborator

Hi,

You're right, this is not something you will want to automate. This is only a workaround when you can't afford a reboot of hive (for example, when other queries not related to the particular lock are being processed).

And yes, I was refering to the professional support where you can "submit" an issue you're facing for Cloudera to analyze.

Good luck.

Explorer

Hi,

I take an opportunity for a quick update:

i) we upgraded both CM and CDH to 5.8.2. I am curious to see if the problem occurs again

ii) just took a stack trace of HiveServer2: what I thought could have been related to the issue seems in fact part of the normal behavior:

Thread 1213 (HiveServer2-Handler-Pool: Thread-64-EventThread):
State: WAITING
Blocked count: 0
Wtaited count: 2
Waiting on java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject@12bdc49c
Stack:
sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(LockSupport.java:186)
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject.await(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:2043)
java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(LinkedBlockingQueue.java:442)
org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$EventThread.run(ClientCnxn.java:494)
Thread 1212 (HiveServer2-Handler-Pool: Thread-64-SendThread(zookeeper2.int....:2181)):
State: RUNNABLE
Blocked count: 423
Wtaited count: 0
Stack:
sun.nio.ch.EPollArrayWrapper.epollWait(Native Method)
sun.nio.ch.EPollArrayWrapper.poll(EPollArrayWrapper.java:269)
sun.nio.ch.EPollSelectorImpl.doSelect(EPollSelectorImpl.java:79)
sun.nio.ch.SelectorImpl.lockAndDoSelect(SelectorImpl.java:87)
sun.nio.ch.SelectorImpl.select(SelectorImpl.java:98)
org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxnSocketNIO.doTransport(ClientCnxnSocketNIO.java:338)
org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$SendThread.run(ClientCnxn.java:1081)

Cheers,

Filippo

New Contributor

Hi,

Did you get any updates on it? My processes are failing too (intermittantly) due to this issue.

Thanks,

Aman 

New Contributor

We have opened a ticket to the cloudera support. They told below

After reviewing the HS2 logs we see GC Pauses which go up to a minute which is causing hive zookeeper sessions to get timed out.The GC messages are likely triggering a ZooKeeper bug condition discussed here - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2323