Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

hive server 2 pause duration

Expert Contributor
Average time spent paused was 46.4 second(s) (77.32%) per minute over the previous 5 minute(s). Critical threshold: 60.00%

I have suddenly started getting this issue. It never used to happen before. Have not even changed any configurations. What could be the possible reasons and how to inspect and resolve this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

I have increased the heap size. It was set to default of 256 MB which I guess was causing the problem. I will revert if it keeps working alright 🙂 Thanks much for your response .It helped

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Champion
This is a garbage collection (GC) pause. A GC trigger will depend on the type of GC in use for HS2. An obvious trigger that you can detect is that the heap was too full. Go the HiveServer2 role an click Chart Library. It typically defaults to the Process Resources charts, if not go there. You should see the JVM Heap Memory Usage and GC pause charts. If the heap is constantly high (70% or above) then that is the likely reason. In that case the solution could be a simple as increasing the HS2 heap.

Note: the heap will increase as usage increases. So you could just have more concurrent or larger queries being processed by HS2.

Expert Contributor

I have increased the heap size. It was set to default of 256 MB which I guess was causing the problem. I will revert if it keeps working alright 🙂 Thanks much for your response .It helped