Explorer

Kudu service failed to start on Cannot initialize clock: Error reading clock. Clock considered unsyn

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I added Kudu service to my cluster, When tried to start the service i got the following error:

+ exec /opt/cloudera/parcels/KUDU-1.0.1-1.kudu1.0.1.p0.14/lib/kudu/sbin/kudu-master --flagfile=/var/run/cloudera-scm-agent/process/3012-kudu-KUDU_MASTER/gflagfile
F1112 19:48:48.629565  1939 master_main.cc:59] Check failed: _s.ok() Bad status: Service unavailable: Cannot initialize clock: Error reading clock. Clock considered unsynchronized

Checked the ntpd service and all is fine and the clock is synced at all nodes.

Cloudera Employee

Re: Kudu service failed to start on Cannot initialize clock: Error reading clock. Clock considered u

Debugging NTP-related issues is pretty hard. Here's a link to the official docs: https://kudu.apache.org/docs/troubleshooting.html#ntp.

Sounds like you've got some kind of NTP misconfiguration. Does this happen across all nodes? Or just the master's node?
Explorer

Re: Kudu service failed to start on Cannot initialize clock: Error reading clock. Clock considered u

I already followed this blog, ntpd service is fine and the clock is synced at all nodes.

Yes, it's on all the nodes including the master, seemd Kudu is more senstive to the clock sync issue from other services, Where i can config for example the --max_clock_sync_error_usec

Cloudera Employee

You can configure --max_clock_sync_error_usec in /etc/kudu/master.gflagfile or /etc/kudu/tserver.gflagfile. There should be existing files in there with a few configurations; you can add more.

I hope that helps. The error message you're seeing doesn't seem related to the max error (if it were, it'd include something like "error: 11130000, is past the maximum allowable error: 10000000".

Announcements