New Contributor

does KUDU officially support Hive for now?

HI KUDU exports, I'd like to know whether KUDU now officially support Hive query or solution of Hive query KUDU table. if no now, is there any plan to support Hive in the future? Thanks in advance!
Cloudera Employee J-D
Cloudera Employee

Re: does KUDU officially support Hive for now?

Hi Jonathan,

Hive doesn't support Kudu, ideally it will one day.

What's your use case?

Thx,

J-D

New Contributor

Thanks for quick response. My use case now is currently we use hdfs + hive to do the ETL and aggregation jobs. and we want to replace the storage engine HDFS with KUDU to support quick data change/update, but still want to keep HIVE as the compute engine as all the sql scripts written by HIVE sql. it seems KUDU now only officially support impala and spark. do you have any solution on how kudu used for ETL?
New Contributor

I saw the following jar for hive to access KUDU tables, but I found lots of bugs for now and it seems not official staff. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-12971 https://github.com/BimalTandel/HiveKudu-Handler/tree/master/Resources
Highlighted
Cloudera Employee J-D
Cloudera Employee

Yes, it appears the last change in that Jira was made 9 months ago and meanwhile there's been a few breaking Kudu API changes. Even if you were to make it work though and test it, which I'm sure the original contributor would appreciate, you'd still be on your own in terms of support. For example, the patch as it evolves could change in such a way that whatever you built on top of it wouldn't work anymore.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for you regarding your ETL workload. You'll have to wait or consider using Spark.

Maybe others in this forum have other suggestions though.

Best regards,

J-D

Announcements