tuk
New Contributor

CDH Rolling Upgrade to 5.13 from 5.7 without Cloudera Enterprise Manager

Crossposting from stackoverflow

Can someone let me know how can I perform Rolling Upgrade of CDH from 5.7 to 5.13? I could not find much in Cloudera documentation regarding rolling upgrade of CDH Community Edition without Cloudera Enterprise Manager?

Champion

Re: CDH Rolling Upgrade to 5.13 from 5.7 without Cloudera Enterprise Manager

[ Edited ]

Do you have a cloudera manager express edition or enterprise edition ? 

because this feature is available only with a Cloudera Enterprise license and  It is not available in Cloudera Express.

tuk
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have Cloudera Enterprise Edition.

My cluster is like below

3 (2 backup, 1 active) Hbase Master , 4 Region Servers, 4 Data Nodes, 3 Resource Manager, 1 Primary Name Node, 1 Secondary Name Node, 3 Journal Node. 

If I am manually stopping the service in a node and upgrading via "1 Click Install" and then starting the services, is there any order I should follow (like upgrade all the data nodes first, then region server & so on)?

If I am stopping all the service in the entire cluster (i.e the taking the entire cluster down)  then what order should I follow while starting the service after the upgrade?

tuk
New Contributor

Anyone any thoughts?

Champion

[ Edited ]

I dont know to which enviroment are you performing this . Production or test or your own cluster either way please  follow the below url 

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-9-x/topics/cm_upgrade.html#concept_q1q_mbs_wx

If I am stopping all the service in the entire cluster (i.e the taking the entire cluster down)  then what order should I follow while starting the service after the upgrade?

Step 1 - > put ur cluster in Maintanace mode for supressing email / alerts 

Step 2 -> Click on the Cluster -> Stop  / Start  - (this will stop / start all the services in the cluster ) 

Let me know if you need more information. 

tuk
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks @csguna for replying.

I am trying this on a test set-up. I am not having Cloudera Enterprise license. 

Can you also let me know since this is a minor version upgrade from 5.7 to 5.13. Can I just upgrade the services in any random order? For example let's say I have upgraded the Secondary Name Node and some data node to the latest 5.13. Will the updated node will be able to talk with the old 5.7 ? Is the latest 5.13 fully backward compatible with 5.7? Cluster downtime is not an issue but eventually when all the node is upgrade will the cluster be restored to normal.

The above question may sound little weird but in summary I am asking this because the legacy set-up in which I am working right now does not have any centralized mechanism to control upgrade secondary NN first then primary & so on.

Champion

@tuk You cant do such thing , upgrading the CDH will upgrade all the component underneth . 

please refer the fixes that is going through before upgrading . 

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/release-notes/topics/cdh_rn_fixed_in_513.html

Also look in the tar ball information https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/release-notes/topics/cm_vd_cdh_package_tarball_513...

Below are the rpm information  - including secondary namenode 

http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh5/redhat/7/x86_64/cdh/5.13.0/RPMS/x86_64/

Final thoughts - it is always best go for HA in hdfs , you should consider switching it .  :0 

thanks 

Announcements