Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Extracting error cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.2.0-0-virtualbox.Help. says virtualbox-disk1.vmdk error

Extracting  cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.2.0-0-virtualbox/cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.2.0-0-virtualbox-disk1.vmdk     Data Error. Kindly help...soon....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Collaborator

Realize that analysis of what is happening, started this morning. Given its monday AM, it will take a little bit to isolate what is going on.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Master Collaborator

The file does unpack properly. I have downloaded and verified that it imports from OVF to a working VM, I'll check on windows next.  Perhaps there is some other issue?

Can you please share what tool you were using to attempt to unpack the compressed file?  7za on windows would be the most appropriate to use, which can be obtained from http://www.7-zip.org/.

On linux or macos command line, the p7zip tool can be used from the command line, as well as unrar, tool. For ubuntu this is discussed here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/219392/how-can-i-uncompress-a-7z-file

If you are using an appropriate tool to unpack the file, it might be that the download is somehow failing to complete.

The following article from microsoft details how to perform SHA1 checksums of a download file (which we list the values you should see returned on the download page).

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290?wa=wsignin1.0

The file might not unpack if you are running on a 32bit OS as well... Its meant for use on 64bit OS.

no my laptop is 64 bit system...x64 based Laptop.I used winrar , 7zip all of them. Took them to 64 bit ubuntu too...there is an extraction error. Look at my ubuntu error...

7-Zip (A) [64] 9.20 Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov 2010-11-18
p7zip Version 9.20 (locale=en_IN,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,1 CPU)

Processing archive: cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.2.0-0-virtualbox.7z

Extracting cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.2.0-0-virtualbox/cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.2.0-0-virtualbox-disk1.vmdk Data Error
Extracting cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.2.0-0-virtualbox/cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.2.0-0-virtualbox.ovf
Extracting cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.2.0-0-virtualbox

Sub items Errors: 1

Capture.JPG

Master Collaborator

It will take a day or so for our forums administrator to approve the image you uploaded, but I did just probably just see the same error when attempting to use 7zip on windows to unpack the file. I'll try again and if there continues to be a problem, will submit a bug to the build team to verify what they were using to unpack the file on windows in their testing. 

In the mean time if you want to start looking at the functionality of the platform, you can use the "Cloudera Live" portal, which provides access to a sandbox environment, the URL for that is downloads page, the live sandbox can be reached from there.

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/downloads.html

Thank you...cloudera Live is an option that is on the back of my mind. But I need to have this VM so that I can tinker around a little. Besides...I will try to move to more than a single cluster by adding some more VMs and also add some other machines as well. It will be a good learning....

will wait for resolution meanwhile...thanks 

Master Collaborator

Yeah I get a different sha1 sum when downloading the file to windows, as well.  I'm opening a jira to out build team to help investigate what is going on.

Also be aware that taking the VM to being a multi node cluster is not supported (it gets really messy as you have to redo networking, etc).  Your much better off once you are ready to take a set of vm's, add the repo, start with the embedded db package, and then add the jdk and cloudera manager. I use centOS mostly, but i'll take a look at the ubuntu steps as well to advise.

Also...am getting different checksum for sha1 ....

this one is on ubuntu...

root@mscfoss-VirtualBox:/e01/Bhags# sha1sum cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.2.0-0-virtualbox.7z
7563398fb9449e5bb75cf7849f74c3e9c9fa7aaa cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.2.0-0-virtualbox.7z

this one on windows

/ File Checksum Integrity Verifier version 2.05.
//
7563398fb9449e5bb75cf7849f74c3e9c9fa7aaa cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.2.0-0-virtualb
ox.7z

As per your team - SHA1: 7f19f078b7bd33f842a895cb0a44143a6ad6776c

I downloaded three times and hence I think possibly your file uploaded is corrupt now. That is why you have also got the same error.

Thanks....you can take some time for now...I will be crashing soon....will again take a look at your reply first thing morning. I am eager to have this working on my Laptop...

Thanks

Master Collaborator

As far as the file corrupt, it loaded fine on mac os from my initital response and I have a running vm from it, there might be something with the packaging or our file download for it thats hitting issues with different platforms downloading the file.  Thanks again for notifying us on this issue.

Master Collaborator

Just a mechanics of the testing you did question:

Did you download at all from within an ubuntu desktop? Or were you dl'ing to the Windows system and then copying over to the ubuntu host? (I'm asking to shape my testing as well, I'll try a direct on ubuntu desktop).  

Also I'll have a quick step list for path b install using the repo direct later today on ubuntu, I'm setting that up now.