New Contributor

How can i configure slot dynamically in CDH 4.7

Hi,

I'm trying to make slot in CDH 4.7 to be dynamically configured instead of static.

is there any idea to guide me?

Thanks

Champion

Re: How can i configure slot dynamically in CDH 4.7

Could you be more precies ? please 

"I'm trying to make slot in CDH 4.7 to be dynamically configured instead of static " 

New Contributor

In CDH 4.7 theres fixed number of slots for Map Task and fixed number of slots for Reduce Task slot.Where Map Task can only run on Map slot and Reduce Task will be processed only on Reduce slot.Also Map Task always will be processed before Reduce Task, so in this time Reduce slot will be idle till Map slot provide input to it.How can i adjust slot dynamically so they can process any Task if these slot are idle .
Thanks in advance
Champion

[ Edited ]
New Contributor

I'm really thankful for getting response from you.

but what i'm asking about is not configuring the scheduler, what i'd like to change is making slot can be configure dynamically and Reduce slot can be able to process Map Task when it's idle.

this can be done only by dynamic configuration.

as you will see in photo in following link, Map slot are fixed 12 and 6 fixed for Reduce slot, is there any way to make them be changable according to the requirment of jobs in the processing time.

https://ibb.co/g27ZYQ

Thanks

Champion

Gotcha , I belive you are using MR1 , Correct me if I am wrong. 

In MR1, the mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum and mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum properties dictated how many map and reduce slots each TaskTracker had.

These properties no longer exist in YARN MR2 Instead, YARN uses yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb and yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores, which control the amount of memory and CPU on each node, both available to both maps and reduces.

New Contributor

Yes I'm working on MapReduce v1 which is using slot instead of container.

I also setup cloudera chd4.7 and by browsing it i think it using MR v1, can you correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks...

Champion

@4hm3ds Yes you are right . You need ugrade to YARN MR2 for dynamic resouce allocation . 

New Contributor

But there's research paper that proposed an algorithms to make MRv1 dynamic slot allocation or dynamic slot configuration.

So for this i have to understand core code and all classes to know what i have to change.

Highlighted
Champion

[ Edited ]

If you got YARN framework there is no SIngle Point of Failure because you can configure High Availablity plus there a sperate dameon that performs the resource allocation that is resource manager and node manager which manages compute container , also you can configure HDFS HA in Hadoop 2 . Where as in Hadoop 1 namenode is a single point of failure as convyed earlier. The prequistes for HA is you need Zookeeper for HDFS , for Resourcemanager HA you need one because it comes with the  ActiveStandbyElector embedded .In addtion you can also perform rolling restart of your cluster without any service interruption.FInally the reason they pushed to MR2 is because there is a lot of stress going on Job tracker  as it performs both the task.

Announcements