Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Multi-node cluster installation, can master and slave be on same host?

Explorer

Sorry if my question appears to be naïve. We are planning to use CDH 5.3.0 or 5.4.0. We want to implement a multi-node cluster.

The example multi-node installations that I have seen/read on different blogs/resources have master and slaves on different hosts.

However, we are restrained by the number of hosts. We have only 2 powerful hosts ( 32 cores 400+ GB RAM), so if we decide to have master

on one and slave on other, we will end up with only one slave. My questions are :

1. Is it possible to have master and slave on the same hosts?

2. Can I have more than one slave node on a single host.

3. Also does one need to pay to use Cloudera Manager or it is open-source like the rest of the components.

If you can point me in the direction of some resource which would help me understand above scenarios it would be helpful.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Varun

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

It is possable to run all CDH services on a single host so mixing "Master" services and "Slave" services is possable. So yes you can build a cluster with just 2 nodes. You will likely have a bit or resource contention. 

If you are just looking to test out Hadoop and CDH this kind of enviroment it just fine but it is not recomeneded for production use.

Another option would be to build VMs and deploy in a virtual enviroment allowing for better control of resources and resource contention.

You can use most of the features in Cloudera Manager for free with Cloudera Express.

What region are you in? We could have a local representative contact you.

Thanks

Josh

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Contributor

It is possable to run all CDH services on a single host so mixing "Master" services and "Slave" services is possable. So yes you can build a cluster with just 2 nodes. You will likely have a bit or resource contention. 

If you are just looking to test out Hadoop and CDH this kind of enviroment it just fine but it is not recomeneded for production use.

Another option would be to build VMs and deploy in a virtual enviroment allowing for better control of resources and resource contention.

You can use most of the features in Cloudera Manager for free with Cloudera Express.

What region are you in? We could have a local representative contact you.

Thanks

Josh

Explorer
Hi,
Thanks for your response.
I am based in Glasgow UK.