Highlighted
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Permission denied: user=root, access=WRITE, inode="/user":hdfs:supergroup:dr

when i use hdfs comands it display errors:

hadoop fs -mkdir /user/,,myfile,, or   "hadoop fs -put myfile.txt /user/,,/,,"  

hadoop will display"Permission denied: user=root, access=WRITE, inode="/user":hdfs:supergroup:dr,,,"and so on,why?who can help me?

Cloudera Employee

Re: Permission denied: user=root, access=WRITE, inode="/user":hdfs:supergroup:dr

Hey,

The /user/ directory is owned by "hdfs" with 755 permissions. As a result only hdfs can write to that directory. Unlike unix/linux, hdfs is the superuser and not root. So you would need to do this:

sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -mkdir /user/,,myfile,,
sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -put myfile.txt /user/,,/,,

If you want to create a home directory for root so you can store files in his directory, do:

sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -mkdir /user/root
sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -chown root /user/root

Then as root you can do "hadoop fs -put file /user/root/".

Hope this helps.

Chris
New Contributor

Re: Permission denied: user=root, access=WRITE, inode="/user":hdfs:supergroup:dr

I had this issue too in Dev during our automated oozie sharelib creation process--which was essentially doing this:

oozie-setup sharelib create -fs hdfs://devhost:8020 -locallib /usr/lib/oozie/oozie-sharelib-yarn.tar.gz

The error I was seeing was:

org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=oozie, access=WRITE, inode="/user":hdfs:supergroup:drwxr-xr-x

It wasn't exactly clear to me at first as it seemed like a permissions error given the error above.

For me it was solved by changing the address that the service was listening on in /etc/hadoop/conf/core-sitse.xml. Mine was previously listening on "localhost:8020." (127.0.0.1)

So to be clear my fix was this:

<configuration>
<property>
<name>fs.defaultFS</name>
<value>hdfs://0.0.0.0:8020</value>
</property>

&& then bounce the service with hadoop-hdfs-namenode restart
optional: validate with netstat -tupln | grep '8020' 

Hope this helps someone else out.

-cmcc

Kudos: 64
Solutions: 33

A quick update to this thread to advise of a new Community Knowledge Article on this subject.

How to resolve "Permission denied" errors in CDH

Cy Jervis, Community Manager - I'm not an expert but will supply relevant content from time to time. :)

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Terms of Service

Community Guidelines

How to use the forum

New Contributor

In cloudera manager, go to hdfs configuration under advanced and put the following code in HDFS Service Configuration Safety Valve:

<property>
<name>dfs.permissions</name>
<value>false</value>
</property>

New Contributor

thank u so much!!!!

New Contributor

to be specific "HDFS Service Advanced Configuration Snippet (Safety Valve) for hdfs-site.xml"
Announcements