Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unmanaged cloudera deployment and support??

New Contributor

Hi I am working on use case which goes like this.

I have to deploy cloudera distribution services using chef or puppet. 

So can we deploy cloudera distribution services using chef or puppet? If yes then does cloudera also provide its support? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Champion
Yes you can deploy it through Chef or Puppet. You ca also use Cloudera Manager with them as well. You can have Chef or Puppet manager CM and use the CM API to manager the cluster.

I am not positive on the support. I worked with on client that used Chef. They didn't have support as they felt capable without it. Any time Cloudera was involved they pushed for the use of CM, but I am pretty sure they eventually paid for CDH Enterprise and still didn't use CM. They were trying to work CM in when I left.

Another way to look at it is that the Enterprise license (which includes support) is just the use for all services plus some nice CM feature. So if you are doing all of that through Chef or Puppet, the left over benefit is to get patches back ported.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Champion
Yes you can deploy it through Chef or Puppet. You ca also use Cloudera Manager with them as well. You can have Chef or Puppet manager CM and use the CM API to manager the cluster.

I am not positive on the support. I worked with on client that used Chef. They didn't have support as they felt capable without it. Any time Cloudera was involved they pushed for the use of CM, but I am pretty sure they eventually paid for CDH Enterprise and still didn't use CM. They were trying to work CM in when I left.

Another way to look at it is that the Enterprise license (which includes support) is just the use for all services plus some nice CM feature. So if you are doing all of that through Chef or Puppet, the left over benefit is to get patches back ported.

Champion

@mbigelow  I thought Ansible is more flexible and ease of use when it comes to automation of deloyment when compared to chef or Puppet ? the only thing that i feel as cons is that it does not support windows .

could u let me know thought 

New Contributor

Sorry for coming back this late. Yeah CM API did the work. Thanks though.