Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Cloudera Director unable to create cluster because sudo required

Explorer

Hi,

Was trying out Cloudera Director and failed creating a cluster.

I followed the docs (except choose the ami in region Ireland)

In the cloudera director application.log the following error is printed:

yum --version failed

Same error rises when executed on the commandline as ec2-user

commandline result is ok when executed with sudo

There's now way i can configure Cloudera Director in the UI to execute all commands with sudo

Only option is to use different ami (with root user access???)

Please suggest other options to make this work.

Planning to use it for a customer soon.

Cheers Kris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

I don't have access to the appliation log anymore.

Might well be I decided last minute to go with a different ami (RHEL 6.5).

Thanks a lot for the help so far. I will try to get Cloudera Director running with the 6.4 ami.

Cheers Kris

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Expert Contributor

Hi Kris.  Could you tell us some more about which AMI you're using?  What Linux distribution/version are you using?

Thanks!

Explorer

Hi.

I used the redhat 6.4 ami as mentioned in the documentation it had a different Id because I used the one from the Ireland region instead of us west

Expert Contributor

Interesting.  Could you give us the exact AMI?  I'd like to spin up an instance and prod at it.  We've seen this issue before with RHEL 6.5, but not RHEL 6.4.

Explorer

The ami mentioned in the docs was ami-b8a63b88 (US West (Oregon)), so I searched for that one and got the description/name. With that name I searched in the Ireland region and found:

ami-75342c01 (RHEL-6.4_GA-x86_64-10-Hourly2) (EU Ireland)

So that was the one I used.

Cheers Kris

Expert Contributor

Hi Kris. I was just able to successfully create a cluster on eu-west-1 (Ireland) using this AMI without issue. Can you verify that this AMI is the one you had used before? The error you're describing is something we noticed when testing out RHEL 6.5 internally -- it seems that RHEL 6.5 requires it's first yum execution (even for something as simple as yum --version) to be run as a super user in order to create yum's internal cache before it works properly. We have not seen the same behavior with RHEL 6.4, which is the only version we currently support.

Also, for future reference, /var/log/cloudera-director-server/application.log should contain useful logging information that we can use to diagnose problems like this in depth. If you still have the application.log around, you can put it on pastebin for us to take a look at.

Explorer

I don't have access to the appliation log anymore.

Might well be I decided last minute to go with a different ami (RHEL 6.5).

Thanks a lot for the help so far. I will try to get Cloudera Director running with the 6.4 ami.

Cheers Kris