Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

cloudera director bootstrap python

Hi, is it possible to define a template for cloudera director to call a python script in the bootstrap process?

The documentation states that the bootstrapScriptsPaths defines a list of script file (shell commands) - so I assume only shell commands are supported.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

Hi Tomas79,

I think a Python script will work if you start it with a shebang (e.g., #/usr/bin/env python). Director uses essentially the following shell command to run a script, so I can see a Python script working with it.

sudo chmod 700 'scriptName' && sudo 'scriptName'

Even so, running a Python script directly is a little hacky because we haven't thought about Director running anything other than shell scripts with this capability, so I can't guarantee that this command won't change in the future to not work with a Python script. However, something like the following shell script will be fine.

#!/usr/bin/env bash
python <<EOF
print 'Hello world!'
EOF

Or:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
curl -O http://host/path/to/downloadable/script.py
python script.py

Or rather than downloading the script, bake it into your AMI / image. So, there are a few options.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Super Collaborator

Hi Tomas79,

I think a Python script will work if you start it with a shebang (e.g., #/usr/bin/env python). Director uses essentially the following shell command to run a script, so I can see a Python script working with it.

sudo chmod 700 'scriptName' && sudo 'scriptName'

Even so, running a Python script directly is a little hacky because we haven't thought about Director running anything other than shell scripts with this capability, so I can't guarantee that this command won't change in the future to not work with a Python script. However, something like the following shell script will be fine.

#!/usr/bin/env bash
python <<EOF
print 'Hello world!'
EOF

Or:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
curl -O http://host/path/to/downloadable/script.py
python script.py

Or rather than downloading the script, bake it into your AMI / image. So, there are a few options.