New Contributor

How to access root in a docker within CDSW?

Hello!

I have succesfully installed CDSW and after starting a new project I wanted to see if I could install new packages onto a docker environment but unfortunately I need root access. When I try to log into 'su -' it asks me for a password but I have no idea what the password is or at what point it was created. When I click on 'terminal access' it logs into the docker as 'cdsw'.

Has anybody had this problem ?

Thanks,

Alejandro

Cloudera Employee

Re: How to access root in a docker within CDSW?

Hi Alejandro,

What are you trying to install?

Getting root access inside a CDSW session container is currently not supported. See the note at the end of the Installing Packages and Libraries page:

Cloudera Data Science Workbench does not currently support customization of system packages that require root access. However, Cloudera Data Science Workbench site administrators and project administrators can add libraries and other dependencies to the Docker image in which their engines run. See Customizing Engine Images.

Would the custom images feature work for your use-case?

Regards,
Peter
New Contributor

I see. Yes it would and I am actually trying to create my own image right now. Reading the instructions, I am stuck at

docker build -t <company-registry>/user/cdsw-mecab:latest . -f Dockerfile

The example is based on 'MeCab'. Is there a way to create a blank image from scratch? I am trying to install several packages and then just re-deploy several other sessions from this template.

Thanks!

Alejandro

New Contributor

Now that I have created my own image, the 'docker push' command doesnt work and it gives me this error

'Get https://cdsw.saas.local/v1/_ping: dial tcp 172.20.xx.xx:443: getsockopt: connection refused'

where 172.20.xx.xx is my host ip address

And when I try to load the image on the engine (On CDSW) it gives me this error

'ErrImagePull: rpc error: code = 2 desc = Error response from daemon: {"message":"Get https://cdsw.saas.local/v1/_ping: dial tcp 172.20.xx.xx:443: getsockopt: connection refused"}'

Any help?

Thanks!

Alejandro

Announcements