Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to setup wildcard DNS subdomain

Explorer

How to setup wildcard DNS subdomain in order to open http://cdsw.<company>.com ?

It would be really useful if anybody would be able to provide with a detailed step to configure this on a RHEL box.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Sorry for the delay providing additional details.

The wildcard DNS needs to work on both the CDSW nodes and on your computer.  For a production installation, you should configure a proper wildcard DNS entry using a domain you control.  You need to control a domain, e.g. company.com, and have proper nameservers (e.g. your internal corporate DNS or something like Route53, GoDaddy, etc).  For instance, if you control the domain company.com and the nameservers point to AWS Route 53, then you should configure the wildcard DNS entries as described in the documention within Route 53.  This will resolve the wildcard entries to your master CDSW node both within AWS and on your computer.

If you're in a corporate environment, typically these types of tasks would be done by a network administrator.

If you are only testing CDSW and do not control a domain, the easiest way is to use a service like xip.io which provides a wildcard DNS automatically pointing to an IP.  However this setup should not be used in production since it is unreliable and delegates your DNS configuration to a third party.

I hope this is helpful.

Best,

Tristan

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Contributor

Did you manage to do this? I am still stuck on this part. 

Explorer

You can install dns on a windows server easily.

Just google how to create dns server ON WINDOWS. Add the wildcard entries there in forward dns.

In control panel--> network--> local area network--> right click and edit ipv4 properties and set default dns server as the one on which you set.

In linux box --> vi /etc/resolv file and add nameserver <ip address> on topmost. 

do cdsw reset 

and cdsw init.

HOPEFULLY THIS WILL SOLVE YOUR ISSUE.

Contributor

Thanks Neha. 

So i did that step.In the resolv file i added the private ip as below: 

nameserver 172.31.37.124

and in the conf file i added the following:

domain = "cdsw.datacloudera.com"

master ip = "172.31.37.124"

However it is still not working. I guess i am missing something else.

I have a EC2 AWS instance running. i installed CDSW on this server. I have a public ip 35.160.249.85 and private IP as 172.31.37.124

where do i add the following as stated in the installtion manual 

cdsw.<company>.com. IN A 172.46.47.48
*.cdsw.<company>.com. IN A 172.46.47.48

Explorer

Hey,

When you hit cdsw.<companyname>.com in the url tab, the url goes to the mentioned DNS server.

Since this is set up using AWS, you can setup a DNS on AWS using maybe Rote53. Not very sure of that though.

You can go through the Routee 53 documentation for further help.

And in /etc/resolv dns server entry has to be fed the one that you set up.

Contributor

ok. I had tried Route 53. But did not work. I guess my concepts on networking need bit of refresh. 

Contributor

I give up. Unable to resolve this. 

Contributor

quick question. Are you able to open the url from open internet? 

Explorer

No, was trying to figure that out.

Expert Contributor

Sorry for the delay providing additional details.

The wildcard DNS needs to work on both the CDSW nodes and on your computer.  For a production installation, you should configure a proper wildcard DNS entry using a domain you control.  You need to control a domain, e.g. company.com, and have proper nameservers (e.g. your internal corporate DNS or something like Route53, GoDaddy, etc).  For instance, if you control the domain company.com and the nameservers point to AWS Route 53, then you should configure the wildcard DNS entries as described in the documention within Route 53.  This will resolve the wildcard entries to your master CDSW node both within AWS and on your computer.

If you're in a corporate environment, typically these types of tasks would be done by a network administrator.

If you are only testing CDSW and do not control a domain, the easiest way is to use a service like xip.io which provides a wildcard DNS automatically pointing to an IP.  However this setup should not be used in production since it is unreliable and delegates your DNS configuration to a third party.

I hope this is helpful.

Best,

Tristan