Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to connect to Kerberized cluster running Hive from R

Rising Star

I am trying to access Hive tables from R by using JDBC, but it's failing while establishing the connection for 

org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation

I thought "hadoop-core.jar" would provide this class, but it's still failing.

Does someone have any idea?

library("DBI")
library("rJava")
library("RJDBC")

cp = c("/home/cdsw/impala_jars/hadoop-common.jar", "/home/cdsw/hive_jars/libthrift-0.9.0.jar",
"/home/cdsw/hive_jars/hive_service.jar", "/home/cdsw/hive_jars/hadoop-core.jar",
"/home/cdsw/hive_jars/TCLIServiceClient.jar", "hive_jars/hive-jdbc-1.1.0-cdh5.10.1-standalone.jar")

.jinit(classpath=cp)

for(l in list.files('/home/cdsw/hive_jars')){ .jaddClassPath(paste("/home/cdsw/hive_jars",l,sep=""))}
for(l in list.files('/home/cdsw/impala_jars')){ .jaddClassPath(paste("/home/cdsw/impala_jars",l,sep=""))}

.jclassPath()

drv <- JDBC("org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveDriver", "hive_jars/hive-jdbc-1.1.0-cdh5.10.1-standalone.jar", identifier.quote="`")

con <- dbConnect(drv, "jdbc:hive2://localhost:10000/default;principal=hive/{HOST}@{REALM}")

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if anyone else faced this issue, but after much research I was able to connect to Kerberized Hive successfully. 

I appended "-Djavax.security.auth.useSubjectCredsOnly=false" to the "jinit"

.jinit(classpath=cp, parameters="-Djavax.security.auth.useSubjectCredsOnly=false")

Basically, it disables the requirement of a GSS mechanism to obtain necessary credentials from an existing Subject and allows to use the specified authentication mechanism, which in this case is Kerberos.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Rising Star

Here's an update:

I was able to fix the initial issue by adding all the jars in /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH/... directory. 

However, now it's failing with Kerberos TGT not found error, although I am doing kinit before connecting.

Is there something I am missing?

"

javax.security.sasl.SaslException: GSS initiate failed [Caused by GSSException: No valid credentials provided (Mechanism level: Failed to find any Kerberos tgt)]

"

Rising Star

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if anyone else faced this issue, but after much research I was able to connect to Kerberized Hive successfully. 

I appended "-Djavax.security.auth.useSubjectCredsOnly=false" to the "jinit"

.jinit(classpath=cp, parameters="-Djavax.security.auth.useSubjectCredsOnly=false")

Basically, it disables the requirement of a GSS mechanism to obtain necessary credentials from an existing Subject and allows to use the specified authentication mechanism, which in this case is Kerberos.