Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Deploy Cloudera manager using conf files and CLI

New Contributor

Hello,

Is there a way to deploy Cloudera manager instance (AWS) ONLY , using the CLI and configuration file?

I like to use it for future cluster deployments and so I can terminate clusters without terminating the CM instance.

Thanks,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

David,

The "bootstrap" and "bootstrap-remote" commands are completely different. The "bootstrap" command will create a deployment and cluster without a Director server, storing the models in a local database file. There is no way to re-use these models across multiple "bootstrap" commands. "bootstrap-remote" submits the deployment and cluster to a Director server and the models will be stored in the Director server database.

See Cloudera Director Interfaces for more information about the distinction between the CLI and the Stand-alone Client.

You can modify your workflow in the following manner:

Please use the bootstrap-remote command in your step 1.

In step 2, you can terminate the cluster in the Director UI. This will leave CM running.

The existing CM will be re-used if you re-run bootstrap-remote with the same conf file or a different conf file that specifies the same "environmentName" and "deploymentName".

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Expert Contributor

David,

Director does not currently have a way to create only a Deployment (CM) using the conf file. Conf files must specify a Cluster.

You can set the "environmentName" and "deploymentName" fields in subsequent conf files to re-use the same CM with future Clusters using the "bootstrap-remote" command.

Cluster termination can be performed in the UI or API, while leaving the Deployment around. Also, if you have multiple Clusters under the same Deployment, using the terminate-remote command in the CLI to terminate a Cluster will NOT terminate the Deployment (as of Director 2.3).

David

New Contributor

Thank you, but I've tried that and I still see that cloudera manager instanes get created:

1. I initially run: cloudera-director bootstrap ha.cluster.conf

Which completed successfully

2. I deleted the cluster and all hosts

3. I run that command while cloudera-manager instance is of course up and running:

cloudera-director bootstrap-remote --lp.remote.username=admin --lp.remote.password=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ha.cluster.conf

What am I missing?

ha.cluster.conf did not changed between invocations.

Thanks,

David

Expert Contributor

David,

The "bootstrap" and "bootstrap-remote" commands are completely different. The "bootstrap" command will create a deployment and cluster without a Director server, storing the models in a local database file. There is no way to re-use these models across multiple "bootstrap" commands. "bootstrap-remote" submits the deployment and cluster to a Director server and the models will be stored in the Director server database.

See Cloudera Director Interfaces for more information about the distinction between the CLI and the Stand-alone Client.

You can modify your workflow in the following manner:

Please use the bootstrap-remote command in your step 1.

In step 2, you can terminate the cluster in the Director UI. This will leave CM running.

The existing CM will be re-used if you re-run bootstrap-remote with the same conf file or a different conf file that specifies the same "environmentName" and "deploymentName".