Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

default start runlevel arguments do not match cloudera-director-server Default-Start values

New Contributor

When I try to install Cloudera Director on AWS I get errors (see below). I’ve tried Googling, but no one else seems to have this problem, so I’m using the Cloudera Forums as my last resort. Below are my steps to replicate. Please let me know if you would like to know additional details. Thanks in advance.

Errors:

update-rc.d: warning: default start runlevel arguments (2 3 4 5) do not match cloudera-director-server Default-Start values (3 4 5)

update-rc.d: warning: default stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not match cloudera-director-server Default-Stop values (0 1 2 6)

Steps to replicate:

wget http://archive.cloudera.com/director/ubuntu/trusty/amd64/director/cloudera-director.list

wget http://archive.cloudera.com/director/ubuntu/trusty/amd64/director/archive.key

sudo apt-key add archive.key

sudo mv cloudera-director.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install cloudera-director-client cloudera-director-server

sudo service cloudera-director-server start

Miscellaneous notes:

I’m using a VPC

Instance type: m4.xlarge

AMI ID: ubuntu-trusty-14.04-amd64-server-20150325 (ami-d05e75b8)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

Hi Ryan,

I'm just following up to see if editing the init script eliminated the runlevel warnings.

The error code of 3 is likely just a confirmation from the script that the server is not running. If that keeps happening, we'll want to take a look at /var/log/cloudera-director-server/application.log file to see if there are any error messages indicating a problem.

Bill

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Super Collaborator

Hi there,

Thanks for giving Cloudera Director a try. I took a look at our init.d script, and it does look to me like the Default-Start and Default-Stop runlevel values are not what I'd have expected them to be. I am checking with others on the team who take care of our packaging to see if they should be changed.

In the meantime, my research seems to show that the warnings may be harmless. Does the Cloudera Director server process start up regardless of the warnings?

Also, you could try editing /etc/init.d/cloudera-director-server and changing the values for Default-Start and Default-Stop to "2 3 4 5" and "0 1 6", respectively, and then starting the server. The warnings may go away.

Bill

New Contributor
Hi Bill,

I'm not at a computer at the moment, but I recall that I wasn't able to
start the server after getting these errors. The command to start
would eventually time out and then give a return code of 3. I'll also try
editing the file you mentioned and see if that works.

Thanks,
Ryan

Super Collaborator

Hi Ryan,

I'm just following up to see if editing the init script eliminated the runlevel warnings.

The error code of 3 is likely just a confirmation from the script that the server is not running. If that keeps happening, we'll want to take a look at /var/log/cloudera-director-server/application.log file to see if there are any error messages indicating a problem.

Bill

New Contributor

Hi Bill, 

I modified the default values, but the issue persisted. I looked in the log that you mentioned, and noticed that is said it needed Java to be installed. When I did: sudo apt-get install oracle-j2sdk1.7, everything worked. Below are the complete steps that I followed for those that are troubleshooting similar issues.

wget http://archive.cloudera.com/director/ubuntu/trusty/amd64/director/cloudera-director.list

wget http://archive.cloudera.com/director/ubuntu/trusty/amd64/director/archive.key

sudo apt-key add archive.key

sudo mv cloudera-director.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install cloudera-director-client cloudera-director-server

sudo apt-get install oracle-j2sdk1.7

sudo service cloudera-director-server start

Thanks,

Ryan

Super Collaborator

Great! Glad things are working for you now.