Highlighted
Explorer
Accepted Solution

CDH Supported Phoenix

[ Edited ]

Cloudera Support Community

Our dev team is currently testing Apache Phoenix mainly for the Hbase to SQL type functionality. I had a few questions regarding the overall future of Phoenix with CDH. The

questions are as follows:

1- Is Phoenix 4.4 the currently stable production release; if yes what version of CDH iscompatability with 4.4 (ie: CDH 5.3,5.4)

2- I understand that Phoenix 4.4 is currently available as a parcel on CDH5.4 will this be available as  package as well.

3- Considering Phoneix 4.4 is now available as a parcel will this be the offical stable and supported release of Phoenix; more directly is Phoenix 4.3
which can be installed via a jar file is that offically supported.

4- Is there a offical support roadmap for Phoenix that is available for public viewing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vikas

Cloudera Employee

Re: CDH Supported Phoenix

Hi Vikas, 

Let me try to clarify a little bit.  The Cloudera Labs version of Apache Phoenix currently in is based off of Apache Phoenix 4.3.x.    It only works against the CDH5.4.x versions of HBase.  This 4.3 based version is packaged as a parcel for easy installation via Cloudera Manager. (not based off of phoenix 4.4)

The upstream Apache Phoenix version 4.4, and 4.5 will not work against a stock cdh5.4,  or 5.3 release without some modifications to the phoenix code and a recompile.

Cloudera Labs is a way for us to gauge community interest in new and promising projects. It is not a guarantee of future commercial support by Cloudera but some projects have in the past have become commercially supported or integrated into supported upstream projects.

Jon

Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
Software Engineer, Cloudera
Explorer

[ Edited ]

Thanks Jonathan, for the quick response this was super helpful in our planning process. As a side can you confirm parcels cannot be deployed in Cloudera Express version correct.

Expert Contributor

Cloudera Labs is a way for us to gauge community interest in new and promising projects. It is not a guarantee of future commercial support by Cloudera but some projects have in the past have become commercially supported or integrated into supported upstream projects.

Could you share repo with phoenix built for CDH? So community could take part in it. 

Topics: 162
Kudos: 61
Solutions: 27

Cloudera Employee

vsawhney,

CM express should be able to install the phoenix parcel.  It doesn't do any license checks on parcel installation. Configuring services and management roles may be restricted by license, but not the binaries.

Jon.

Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
Software Engineer, Cloudera
Explorer

Thanks for your help.

Contributor

I am on CDH 5.4.8 

how do I add the Phoenix Parcel?

Topics: 162
Kudos: 61
Solutions: 27

Explorer

Hello, Is available for CH-5.5.0? Thanks.

Announcements

Currently incubating in Cloudera Labs:

Envelope
HTrace
Ibis
Impyla
Livy
Oryx
Phoenix
Spark Runner for Beam SDK
Time Series for Spark
YCSB