Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

MySQL Connectivity Issues via Cloudera Live Sqoop Example/Tutorial?

New Contributor

Good evening!

Today I got access to Cloudera Live/GoGrid and started to work through the tutorial starting at the very beginning -  using Sqoop to import a MySQL DB.

I copied this command from the tutorial guide:

sqoop import-all-tables \
  -m 12 \
  --connect jdbc:mysql://i7d61-cldramaster-01:3306/retail_db \
  --username=retail_dba \
  --password=cloudera \
  --compression-codec=snappy \
  --as-avrodatafile \
  --warehouse-dir=/user/hive/warehouse

However, I receive multiple errors relating to a 'Communications link failure, here is a snippet:

14/10/28 18:35:14 INFO sqoop.Sqoop: Running Sqoop version: 1.4.4-cdh5.1.0
14/10/28 18:35:14 WARN tool.BaseSqoopTool: Setting your password on the command-line is insecure. Consider using -P instead.
14/10/28 18:35:14 INFO manager.MySQLManager: Preparing to use a MySQL streaming resultset.
14/10/28 18:35:14 ERROR manager.CatalogQueryManager: Failed to list tables
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure

I understand from research this typically relates to connectivity issues, but as I am using a self contained environment designed for this tutorial I would not have expected to have these types of issues. 🙂

Any guidence would be appreciated! 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New Contributor

Coming back to this today, I never thought to initialy check if MySQL Server was actually running. Which it wasnt 🙂

After enabling the service on the master node (which is where the DB is stored for the Cloudera Live demo), everything worked well.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

New Contributor

Coming back to this today, I never thought to initialy check if MySQL Server was actually running. Which it wasnt 🙂

After enabling the service on the master node (which is where the DB is stored for the Cloudera Live demo), everything worked well.