Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Changing parcel path vi CM

Explorer

I'm using CDH 4.4.0-1.cdh4.4.0.p0.39 on CentOS 6 and am having trouble with changing the parcel path from /opt/cloudera to /data/cloudera (I know I can symlink it, but the field is there in CM, so why not try to do it the right way right?).  

I went ahead and changed the parcel path via the CM UI to /data/cloudera/parcel-repo.  Then I added a new host to the cluster, but to my surprise, I see the /opt/cloudera tree has been created and populated with parcels on the new host and nothing is in /data.

Am I missing an option to completely move the parcel path?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

One point of clarification from your first post, since you're setting parcel directories for two distinct uses:

1. Parcels originate in a Remote Repository (eg. archive.cloudera.com, or your own mirror web server)

2. Cloudera Manager server retrieves parcels and checksums from the Remote Repository and hosts them in

/opt/cloudera/parcel-repo. This location configurable via CM UI > Hosts > Parcels > Edit Settings > Local Parcel Repository Path

3. Cluster Nodes retrieve parcels from the CM Server Local Repository. Each node uses 

/opt/cloudera/parcel-cache

/opt/cloudera/parcels

These locations are configurable via /etc/cloudera-scm-agent/config.ini on each respective node.

Visualized this looks like:

Screenshot_9_17_13_9_25_AM.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Explorer

Setting parcel_dir=/data/cloudera/parcels in /etc/cloudera-scm-agent/config.ini fixed the prob (service cloudera-scm-agent required).  Currently it will not follow a symlink from /opt/cloudera -< /data/cloudera properly.

Before updating config.ini I couldn't deploy any additional parcels besides CDH and these were popping up in /var/log/cloudera-scm-agent/clouder-scm-agent.log

[16/Sep/2013 18:43:21 +0000] 47072 Thread-13 parcel_cache INFO Unpacking /opt/cloudera/parcel-cache/HADOOP_LZO-0.4.15-1.gplextras.p0.24-el6.parcel into /opt/cloudera/parcels
[16/Sep/2013 18:43:21 +0000] 47072 MainThread parcel INFO Loading parcel manifest for: CDH-4.4.0-1.cdh4.4.0.p0.39
[16/Sep/2013 18:43:21 +0000] 47072 MainThread parcel INFO Loading parcel manifest for: HADOOP_LZO-0.4.15-1.gplextras.p0.24
[16/Sep/2013 18:43:21 +0000] 47072 MainThread parcel INFO Loading parcel manifest for: CDH
[16/Sep/2013 18:43:21 +0000] 47072 MainThread parcel ERROR Exception while reading parcel: CDH
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib64/cmf/agent/src/cmf/parcel.py", line 103, in refresh
pid = ParcelId.dir(child)
File "/usr/lib64/cmf/agent/src/cmf/parcel_id.py", line 74, in dir
raise Exception("Invalid parcel directory: %s" % (dir))
Exception: Invalid parcel directory: CDH
[16/Sep/2013 18:43:21 +0000] 47072 MainThread parcel ERROR Exception while refreshing parcel repository.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib64/cmf/agent/src/cmf/parcel.py", line 680, in process_default
self.repo.refresh()
File "/usr/lib64/cmf/agent/src/cmf/parcel.py", line 128, in refresh
pid = ParcelId.dir(child)
File "/usr/lib64/cmf/agent/src/cmf/parcel_id.py", line 74, in dir
raise Exception("Invalid parcel directory: %s" % (dir))
Exception: Invalid parcel directory: CDH
[16/Sep/2013 21:36:52 +0000] 47072 MainThread agent INFO Stopping agent...

Super Collaborator

Thanks for your report. This is a confirmed issue, and a very near-term release will address pardel_dir= not properly enumerating parcels when a symlink is present.

You likely already discovered that you can in the short term change parcel_dir= to the end target and restart the agent, though we'll get this resolved ASAP.

Best,

--

Explorer

@smark is following symlinks in parcels dir config already available?

I'm using CDH 5.14 and it seems not.

In the CM in host config I have set Parcel Directory = /opt/cloudera/parcels

in the system: /opt/cloudera -> /data/cloudera

In the spark config files, spark-env.sh and spark-defaults everywhere /opt/cloudera is replaced to /data/cloudera.

Is it somehow possible to workarround that?

Thanks!

Master Guru

@wsmolak,

This thread covers a different issue that is quite old.

Let's continue the conversation in the other thread you opened if that is ok:

https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Cloudera-Manager-Installation/Problem-with-path-to-parcels/m-p/930...

Please explain what problem you are facing if there is one.

Super Collaborator

One point of clarification from your first post, since you're setting parcel directories for two distinct uses:

1. Parcels originate in a Remote Repository (eg. archive.cloudera.com, or your own mirror web server)

2. Cloudera Manager server retrieves parcels and checksums from the Remote Repository and hosts them in

/opt/cloudera/parcel-repo. This location configurable via CM UI > Hosts > Parcels > Edit Settings > Local Parcel Repository Path

3. Cluster Nodes retrieve parcels from the CM Server Local Repository. Each node uses 

/opt/cloudera/parcel-cache

/opt/cloudera/parcels

These locations are configurable via /etc/cloudera-scm-agent/config.ini on each respective node.

Visualized this looks like:

Screenshot_9_17_13_9_25_AM.png

Explorer

Hi Smark,

Is it ok to host the local repository in one of the cluster nodes?

Thanks,

Priyanka