Explorer

Cloudera Manager HDFS File Browser in secure cluster

[ Edited ]

Dear all,

I was trying to access HDFS via Cloudera Manager's File Browser and got into this error

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Failed to create directory: /var/run/cloudera-scm-server/keytab

For some reason this directory (/var/run/cloudera-scm-server) was not there.

The solution to that is just to create the directory in host (or hosts if HA is configured) where cloudera manager runs on:

install -d -o cloudera-scm -g cloudera-scm /var/run/cloudera-scm-server

Cloudera Manager needs this directory to deploy the required keytabs in order to authenticate.

PS: This error should not appear if security is not enabled

Topics: 1
Kudos: 127
Solutions: 67

Re: Cloudera Manager HDFS File Browser in secure cluster

@GeKas,

I'm glad you were able to solve the issue.  It is highly unusual for the /var/run/cloudera-scm-server directory to be missing, so this is not something that should need to be done.  Any idea how it may have gone missing in the first place?

Did you use packages to install Cloudera Manager or some other method perhaps?

I'm just curious :-)

Explorer

[ Edited ]

Hi bgooley,

I have not done this installation. I am new to this project. I known that this is unusual because I am working with Cloudera for almost 6 years and have done a lot of installations, both in production and lab environments. I have never seen this issue before.

The installation is done using packages. I have asked the security guys to check the logs.

In my opinion, this is 90% done by user action. But to be honest, we have done an upgrade to CM5.13.1 and after that we realized this issue. I don't know if the issue was there before. Once I have spare time, I will redo the upgrade on a test environment, to check it.

Topics: 1
Kudos: 127
Solutions: 67

@GeKas,

No worries... thanks for checking into it if you get a chance.  Some interesting issues are sometimes reported via the Community so if there may be anything actionable on the Cloudera side to fix a bug or document something, we don't want to miss the opportunity.

All the best,

Ben

Announcements