Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Could I delete files in /var/lib/cloudera-scm-eventserver

New Contributor

My storage /var/lib/cloudera-scm-eventserver filling up because of following files. Can I delete them?

[root@ip-10-0-2-241 v3]# ls -alh | grep "G "
-rw-r----- 1 cloudera-scm cloudera-scm  5.9G Jul 13 05:09 _hiag.fdt
-rw-r----- 1 cloudera-scm cloudera-scm  1.5G Jul 23 05:25 _iovt.fdt
-rw-r----- 1 cloudera-scm cloudera-scm  1.5G Aug  2 04:16 _jxli.fdt
-rw-r----- 1 cloudera-scm cloudera-scm  1.5G Aug 11 09:27 _l84b.fdt
-rw-r----- 1 cloudera-scm cloudera-scm  1.5G Aug 18 20:15 _mc70.fdt
-rw-r----- 1 cloudera-scm cloudera-scm  1.5G Aug 27 02:17 _njxe.fdt

If I cannot can i move them to different partition? if yes, how can I do that?

Need your help.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Explorer

Please refer to following - Cloudera recommended settings:

Cloudera Management Services - Event ServerEntity Event Server

Default Storage Location /var/lib/cloudera-scm-eventserver/ on the host where the Event Server role is configured to run

Storage Configuration Defaults 5,000,000 events retained

Where to Control Data Retention or Minimum /Maximum

The amount of storage space the Event Server uses is influenced by configuring how many discrete events it may retain.

To configure data retention in Cloudera Manager Administration Console, select Home > Cloudera Management Service > Configuration > Event Server Group and edit the following property:

Maximum Number of Events in the Event Server Store

The maximum size of the Event Server store, in events. Once this size is exceeded, events are deleted starting with the oldest first until the size of the store is below this threshold

Sizing, Planning, and Best Practices

The Event Server is a managed Lucene index that collects relevant events that happen within your cluster, such as results of health tests, log events that are created when a log entry matches a set of rules for identifying messages of interest and makes them available for searching, filtering and additional action. You can view and filter events on the Diagnostics > Events tab of the Cloudera Manager Administration Console. You can also poll this data using the Cloudera Manager API.

New Contributor

Thanks irobot. This helps. I am newbi to Cloudera. 

Can I change the defalut Storage location of /var/lib/cloudera-scm-eventserver. Now it is taking around 17GB. I want to add additional storage and point to that storage.

Thanks once again.

Explorer

You are welcome, I wont recommend changing the default location but you can give it a try.

Change the event server log location and then restart event server. Make sure it starts and runs correctly. Let me know how it goes.

Explorer

hey there,

is there an option to delete the events? Actually I'm around 6.5 Million Events, Threshold is 5 Million.

Regards,

Timo

New Contributor

Hello, I have ended up with the same, is there option to delete the events manually, no finding related doc to this question

Community Manager

@sanmsk Welcome to the Cloudera Community!

As this is an older post, you would have a better chance of receiving a resolution by starting a new thread. This will also be an opportunity to provide details specific to your environment that could aid others in assisting you with a more accurate answer to your question. You can link this thread as a reference in your new post. Thanks.

Regards,

Diana Torres,
Community Moderator

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Contributor

Hello,

Yes, you can manually clean the the folder, this however will remove all the events

From your initial outputs you are using "v3" folder .

[root@ip-10-0-2-241 v3]# ls -alh | grep "G "

So you will do the following steps [1]:
1. Stop Event Server
2. Check your location "CM -> CMS -> Config -> Search by "eventserver_index_dir"
3. Backup the folder
4. Remove the $eventserver_index_dir/v3 folder
5. Start Event Server,

This will regenerate the index and save new events.

Ref:
https://my.cloudera.com/knowledge/TSB-2022-597-Cloudera-Manager-Event-server-does-not-clean-up?id=34...