Custom add on service stuck in starting state, and now cannot start,stop,delete this service.

by Community Manager on ‎04-20-2016 08:46 AM - edited on ‎11-08-2016 08:26 AM by Community Manager

Question:

My custom add on service is stuck in starting state and now cannot start,stop or delete the service itself. 

When I try to start I get the error "Command Start is not currently available for execution."

Whey I try to stop the service I get the error "At least one role must be started."

When I try to delete the service I get the error "The following roles roles need to be stopped before deleted."

How do I resolve this?

Answer:  

Please make sure you have a Cloudera Manager database backup before following these directions.

Perform the following actions:
1. Log into the Cloudera Manager database and run a query against all the services in the Roles table.

select role_id, name, configured_status from ROLES where configured_status = "STOPPING"; -- Replace STOPPED with STARTING depending on the use case.

2. Note any roles that you know for certain are stopped but are indicated as "STOPPING" or any roles you know for certain are started but are indicated as "STARTING"

3. Execute an update statement to set the role to the correct state.

update ROLES set configured_status = "STOPPED" where role_id = #; -- Replace STOPPED with STARTING depending on the use case. Replace the role_id with the value got from step 1.

4. Re-execute the select statement to check to ensure the configured_status is now indicating the correct state.

5. Start or stop the role as required.  (It *MAY* also be required to restart the Cloudera Manager server process itself too)

NOTE: This article was taken, in part, from our internal Knowledge Base. To access the original article please use the following link (customer login required): 

https://cloudera-portal.force.com/articles/KB_Article/Cloudera-Manager-managed-role-stuck-in-stoppin...

Disclaimer: The information contained in this article was generated by third-parties and not by Cloudera or it's personnel. Cloudera cannot guarantee its accuracy or efficacy. Cloudera disclaims all warranties of any kind and users of this information assume all risk associated with it and with following the advice or directions contained herein. By visiting this page, you agree to be bound by the Terms and Conditions of Site Usage , including all disclaimers and limitations contained therein.