Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Deleted the contents in var/log/ now Cloudera server and agent are not starting

Rising Star

Hello Team ,

I created a Cluster with two nodes and uploaded some data in HDFS . It was working fine . When i try to upload some more data . I started getting lots of health issues saying in the services and Cloudera manger services aswell . It was mentioning free space in log file is low . So i just deleted all the logs inside the log folder . NOW EVERYTHING STOPPED WORKING .

When I try to start the server I got a message that the /var/log/cloudera-scm-server/cloudera-scm-server.out file or folder is missing . So i  created the Cloudera-scm-server folder . Again it failed to start , mentioning java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/log/cloudera-scm-server/cloudera-scm-server.log (Permission denied) .

I am completely confused . Please help

Awaiting for a response .

Thanks

Bala

Thanks
Bala
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star
I ran chmod 777 var/log/ . Then the agent started running . But still server is not starting .
Thanks
Bala

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Rising Star
I ran chmod 777 var/log/ . Then the agent started running . But still server is not starting .
Thanks
Bala

Rising Star
Server started after following the same steps .. Can anyone tell me the steps to increase the volume of postgresql . ???
Thanks
Bala

I'm sure you realized this by now, but deleting the entire log folder is definitely a bad idea. You should clean out the files that are troublesome, not remove whole directories. It's also good to configure data retention policies wherever you can. All Cloudera Management roles (like host monitor, activity monitor, and service monitor) have configuration options to control how much data they keep.

I think when you are asking to increase the postgresql volume, you are talking about increasing the disk space available to /var/lib/cloudera-scm-server-db/data.

The best thing to do is migrate to an externally managed database.

If that's too difficult, then you can either alter the partitions on your machine to allocation more space to the relevant partition, or you can create a symlink from /var/lib/cloudera-scm-server-db/data to a place that has more available space. You should of course move the existing data to that new location before creating the symlink.

Note that if you do the symlink strategy, it is likely that you will need to re-create it when you upgrade cloudera manager in the future, as the symlink confuses the RPM code. You won't lose your data on cm upgrade, just the symlink.

Rising Star
Hi Dlo ,

Thanks a lot for your response .

Yes I wanna increase the disk space of /var/lib/cloudera-scm-server-db/data.

I am trying to alter the partitions .

Thanks
Bala