Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Disabling IPv6

Rising Star

In a recent Predictive Cluster Validation Summary for one of my clusters, Cloudera Proactive Support states:

"The following hosts have IPv6 enabled, which is against our best practices, because it can cause connectivity problems. This is discussed in the CDH documentation. (http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/documentation/core/latest/topics/cdh_ig_req_supported_ve..."

Yet that page simply says that "IPv6 is not supported and must be disabled."

If this is a hard requirement, then why is there no documentation on *how* to disable IPv6 for the various supported OSs?  I understand that Cloudera may not want to get into the OS configuration business, but at least pointers to vender documentation should be provided.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor
Hi @mjarnold, I can comment on this on behalf of Ben. The docs received a minor improvement that advises the OS vendor to be contacted for complete information or any necessary assistance regarding disabling ipv6:

Networking Protocols Support
CDH requires IPv4. IPv6 is not supported and must be disabled.
Note: Contact your OS vendor for help disabling IPv6.

This was the resulting improvement in the docs stemming from the jira I filed after we first spoke about this issue. I know this isn’t much of a change, but we felt it was the most sound advice we could provide on the next-steps necessary.

If you have any feedback please do let us know. We sincerely appreciate your long-running excellent partnership here with us in Cloudera Support.

Best,
Alex

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Expert Contributor

Thank you Michael. I appreciate the links.