New Contributor

Enabling High Availability for YARN

Hi, 

I am trying to enable high availibilty for YARN service on cloudera and after enabling that I cannot start my job history server and resource manager.

They fail with the following error 

Error starting JobHistoryServer
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.hadoop.util.JvmPauseMonitor: method <init>()V not found
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.hs.JobHistoryServer.serviceInit(JobHistoryServer.java:150)
	at org.apache.hadoop.service.AbstractService.init(AbstractService.java:163)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.hs.JobHistoryServer.launchJobHistoryServer(JobHistoryServer.java:229)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.hs.JobHistoryServer.main(JobHistoryServer.java:239)
Error starting ResourceManager
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.hadoop.util.JvmPauseMonitor: method <init>()V not found
	at org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.ResourceManager$RMActiveServices.serviceInit(ResourceManager.java:536)
	at org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.ResourceManager.createAndInitActiveServices(ResourceManager.java:1051)
	at org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.ResourceManager.serviceInit(ResourceManager.java:270)
	at org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.ResourceManager.main(ResourceManager.java:1279)

Now I can't disable the high availability and go back to previous state.

Any suggestions on how to fix this.

Champion

Re: Enabling High Availability for YARN

[ Edited ]

did you enable it using Cloduera manager or command line ?

is your zookeeper

New Contributor

I am trying to do this with Cloudera Manager Wizard ? 

Champion

Would you mind deleting the Job history server on the failed host and add new one .

because Job history does not maintain any state . 

Highlighted
New Contributor

That's what I ended up doing ultimately which fixed the issue but I was actually hoping to fix the error on the failed job history server itself instead of migrating the roles to a new instance.

Champion

[ Edited ]

Although ResourceManager HA doesn't affect the JobHistory Server (JHS). if the host fails you can simply assign it to a new host. Job history server does not maintain the state . Hence you deleted and fixed it . just like The statestored and catalogd daemons .

Announcements