New Contributor

Error persisting events for service hive

Hello

Cloudera 5.12.1

mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.7.19, for Linux (x86_64) using  EditLine wrapper

We are getting a lot of error message in the /var/log/cloudera-scm-navigator/mgmt-cmf-mgmt-NAVIGATOR-node03.domain.log.out:

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Incorrect string value: '\xEF\xBF\xBD\xC3\xB3r...' for column 'OPERATION_TEXT' at row 1
        at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:996)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:3887)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:3823)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:2435)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:2582)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.execSQL(ConnectionImpl.java:2530)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeInternal(PreparedStatement.java:1907)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java:2141)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeBatchSerially(PreparedStatement.java:1773)
        ... 36 more

This column seems to be the navigator.hive_audit_events.operation_text (or the corresponding partition).

Does anyone have a clue how I can resolve this? I've tried changing the column's character set to 'utf8' but no joy. I'd be OK if I could just flush out the un-processed events. My guess is that there's some strange character in the SQL from Hive and the Audit server is failing to log it in this table.

Highlighted
Topics: 11
Kudos: 60
Solutions: 34

Re: Error persisting events for service hive

@Borkur

1. Login to MySQL as root
2. Show databases
3. Use navigator
4. select operation_text from hive_audit_events , to see anything strange in this column and for how many rows...

Some customers will use their Navigator data for audit but some just keep this service but do not use this data... if you are NOT using this data for audit 'and' the impact is for very few rows then take a backup and try to manage the impacted data

New Contributor

Re: Error persisting events for service hive

sorry, I should have mentioned: the table is empty. But there are loads and loads of hive_audit_events_YYYY_MM_DD tables, e.g. hive_audit_events_2017_11_14 - which is also empty.

The process that loads the data in to the table seems to be failing with that error message.

Hive is also in status: BAD as the audit_pipeline_test fails. I don't know how to see exactly what that test does, but I suspect it's related to this error as well.

I'm thinking either there's a) some funky data that the navigator is trying to insert or b) there's something wrong with the table itself or c) the jdbc/java code doing the insert is 'buggy' ?

Thoughts?

Announcements