Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Event Server fails to start

Contributor

Hi,

On both of our CDM5.4 & 5.3 installation the Event Server fails to start. Looking at the log I see the following:

2015-08-20 06:06:08,729 WARN com.cloudera.cmf.event.publish.EventStorePublisherWithRetry: Failed to publish event: SimpleEvent{attributes={ROLE_TYPE=[EVENTSERVER], CATEGORY=[LOG_MESSAGE], ROLE=[mgmt-EVENTSERVER-e1999db7de4fe4b7c2c57898304d3380], SEVERITY=[IMPORTANT], SERVICE=[mgmt], HOST_IDS=[96352548-2978-4364-9db5-8dc03ea649d9], SERVICE_TYPE=[MGMT], LOG_LEVEL=[WARN], HOSTS=[sdlc6407.labs.teradata.com], EVENTCODE=[EV_LOG_EVENT]}, content=Category SERVICE is not ROLE for input role type KMS-KMS., timestamp=1440075968044}

Is there something I've not done correctly in the installation of these two managers? I've looked on the forum and see no other topic that's similiar.

Any advice welcome

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cloudera Employee

Hi,

You can assign it more memory through the "Configuration" page.

Click on Cloudera Management Service -> Configuration -> Select "Event Server" on the filters on the left.

Add "heap"  to the search box at the top of the filters. You should see "Java Heap Size of Event Server in bytes" as a configuration option.

Try increasing it to 512MB or 1GB.

It would be nice to get an idea of the whole log, to see what its doing that led it to run out of memory.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Contributor

I'm also seeing this on the stdout. Looks like its out of memory. Any idea how to assign it more memory?

#
# java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
# -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError="/usr/lib64/cmf/service/common/killparent.sh"
#   Executing /bin/sh -c "/usr/lib64/cmf/service/common/killparent.sh"...
Thu Aug 20 08:08:15 PDT 2015
JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_67-cloudera
Executing: /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_67-cloudera/bin/java -server -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:-CMSConcurrentMTEnabled -XX:+UseParNewGC -Dmgmt.log.file=mgmt-cmf-mgmt-EVENTSERVER-sdlc6407.labs.teradata.com.log.out -Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Xms52428800 -Xmx52428800 -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError=/usr/lib64/cmf/service/common/killparent.sh -cp /var/run/cloudera-scm-agent/process/352-cloudera-mgmt-EVENTSERVER:/usr/share/java/mysql-connector-java.jar:/usr/share/cmf/lib/postgresql-9.0-801.jdbc4.jar:/usr/share/java/oracle-connector-java.jar:/usr/share/cmf/lib/* com.cloudera.cmf.eventcatcher.server.EventCatcherService
#

Contributor

Anyone?

Cloudera Employee

Hi,

You can assign it more memory through the "Configuration" page.

Click on Cloudera Management Service -> Configuration -> Select "Event Server" on the filters on the left.

Add "heap"  to the search box at the top of the filters. You should see "Java Heap Size of Event Server in bytes" as a configuration option.

Try increasing it to 512MB or 1GB.

It would be nice to get an idea of the whole log, to see what its doing that led it to run out of memory.

Contributor

Hi,

Yes I done this yesterday after not finding any suggestion on the web. This has fixed the issue but I've no idea why what I assume to be the default configuration should cause the Event Server to fail.

Cheers

Steve

Contributor
I have followed adding 1g on "Java Heap Size of Event Server in bytes", it does not work either, any more advice ?

thanks

Master Guru

It may be the cause of the failure is not an OutOfMemoryError excpetions.  I believe you solved the issue in another post by opening up permissions in /var/ as the event server files could not be created.  If not, let us know.

Contributor

yes, it's been solved, please close this one, thanks

what is the solution for this issue?