Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Failed to receive heartbeat from agent. CM server guid

Contributor

Hi

My install fails when it tries to get heartbeat from newly installed agent.

I tried a few things suggested on the interenet by other users, such as cleaning the folders:

rm /var/lib/cloudera-scm-agent/ -rf
  rm /var/lib/cloudera-scm-server/ -rf

then I uninstalled and reinstalled:

/usr/share/cmf/uninstall-cloudera-manager.sh

./cloudera-manager-installer.bin

But the error on step 5 of the install wizard is always :

Installation failed. Failed to receive heartbeat from agent.

LOG SNIPPET:

BEGIN sudo tail -n 50 /var/log/cloudera-scm-agent//cloudera-scm-agent.log | sed 's/^/>>/'
>>[01/Feb/2018 12:29:01 +0000] 68880 MainThread agent ERROR Error, CM server guid updated, expected eb29c04c-7699-43d6-8896-ea6024c0edc2, received 40d851ea-2dd7-4a6d-8840-410425111154
>>[0

>>[01/Feb/2018 12:49:29 +0000] 71602 MainThread __init__ ERROR Failed to generate and store Agent UUID

>>IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/lib/cloudera-scm-agent/uuid'
>>[01/Feb/2018 12:49:29 +0000] 71602 Dummy-1 daemonize WARNING Stopping daemon.
>>[01/Feb/2018 13:02:19 +0000] 73786 MainThread __init__ INFO Generating Agent UUID for the first time: '/var/lib/cloudera-scm-agent/uuid'
>>[01/Feb/2018 13:02:19 +0000] 73786 MainThread __init__ ERROR Failed to generate and store Agent UUID
>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File "/usr/lib64/cmf/agent/build/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cmf-5.14.0-py2.7.egg/cmf/util/__init__.py", line 414, in get_host_uuid
>> uuid_file = open(uuid_path, 'w')
>>IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/lib/cloudera-scm-agent/uuid'
>>[01/Feb/2018 13:02:19 +0000] 73786 Dummy-1 daemonize WARNING Stopping daemon.
END (0)
end of agent logs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

@NewBee22,

The key error in your output is:

Failed to generate and store Agent UUID

When the agent starts, it will check /var/lib/cloudera-scm-agent/ to see if there is a "uuid" file.  If there isn't, the agent will create the file with a unique uuid value.  It seems this operation fails.

Since the agent runs as root, it is possible there is something else preventing file creation

I suggest looking at the file path. Run:

# ls -lrt /var/lib/cloudera-scm-agent

Since we see that uuid_file = open(uuid_path, 'w') fails I believe that it is most likely that "cloudera-scm-agent" does not exist.

If it doesn't, create /var/lib/cloudera-scm-agent and try restarting the agent.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Master Guru

@NewBee22,

The key error in your output is:

Failed to generate and store Agent UUID

When the agent starts, it will check /var/lib/cloudera-scm-agent/ to see if there is a "uuid" file.  If there isn't, the agent will create the file with a unique uuid value.  It seems this operation fails.

Since the agent runs as root, it is possible there is something else preventing file creation

I suggest looking at the file path. Run:

# ls -lrt /var/lib/cloudera-scm-agent

Since we see that uuid_file = open(uuid_path, 'w') fails I believe that it is most likely that "cloudera-scm-agent" does not exist.

If it doesn't, create /var/lib/cloudera-scm-agent and try restarting the agent.