Highlighted
Expert Contributor

Hive metastore database (or tables) manual replication!

Hi,

My question is, after using DistCp to transfert all the HDFS data to a second cluster, can I replicate the whole hive metastore database (manualy or using DB HA..) to accomplish the backup/restore ?or I should import/export only some specefic hive metastore tables ?

Thanks.

Explorer

Re: Hive metastore database (or tables) manual replication!

Are you using The BDR tool available with a cloudera Enterprise license?

If that is the case then you probably should be using that tool and two separate Hive Metastores. No DB copying required. (I am trying this now - I am no expert yet :-)

If you don't then you might consider having a shared metastore. Does that work for you?

But finally if all you are doing is creating a Disaster Recovery type backup then I would assume you need all the tables in the Hive Metastore. But that is a guess.

Topics: 1
Kudos: 208
Solutions: 112

@AcharkiMed,

If you cannot use BDR Hive replication (https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/cm_bdr_hive_replication.html)

Then one option to replicate is to copy the database.  I know it has been done but I'm not sure of the steps.

I would recommend inquiring in a new thread on the Hive Community message board.

Expert Contributor

I'm not using the BDR.

I want to make a hot backup cluster, so I'll test to replicate the whole metastore database every X minutes and see the results.

Thanks for your replies.

Announcements