Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to install CM over an existing CDH Cluster

Explorer

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can inform me as to whether its possible for Cloudera Manager to "discover" and then continue to monitor pre-installed, configured, and running CDH components? I use SaltStack to programmatically install and configure my cluster to run hbase, hive, impala, oozie, and hue, along with just the core-hadoop processes. The clusters work great. But I'd like to be able to add ClouderManager to the mix, to be able to monitor my cluster after-the-fact. Is that possible at all? My understanding is that both the API and the CM UI force you to re-specify your configuration, and then restart your services, which I would like to avoid.

Can you advise?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

It is true that a restart would be required at some point along the way if you tried to overlay Cloudera Manager on top of an existing CDH cluster.  You would also need to take very careful steps to assure that all your configs were ported into CM during the install process, it's not really a documented process because it can cause data loss if you don't know what you're doing.  see this thread

Cloudera Manager is not just a monitoring tool, it is an entire management suite and wants to install, configure, monitor, and report on your cluster.  Just keep in mind that CM will move your configs around and wants to manage all those settings and keep it's own log directories, etc.  It will not drop in seemlessly into an existing suite of tools that are managing the cluster and only do the monitoring piece for you.

HTH

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Guru

It is true that a restart would be required at some point along the way if you tried to overlay Cloudera Manager on top of an existing CDH cluster.  You would also need to take very careful steps to assure that all your configs were ported into CM during the install process, it's not really a documented process because it can cause data loss if you don't know what you're doing.  see this thread

Cloudera Manager is not just a monitoring tool, it is an entire management suite and wants to install, configure, monitor, and report on your cluster.  Just keep in mind that CM will move your configs around and wants to manage all those settings and keep it's own log directories, etc.  It will not drop in seemlessly into an existing suite of tools that are managing the cluster and only do the monitoring piece for you.

HTH

Explorer

Not exactly the answer I was hoping to hear, but thank you. Definitely answered my question.

Contributor

Great issue. I still hope Cloudera Manager can take over a cluster that managed by other Cloudera Manager.

That is different Problem but same Request.

New Contributor

I have the same issue as well, and find out it's hard to get there.

I wanted to do this some days ago .And one senior told me that I'd better reinstall the cluster through CM. So the answer should be: " can't".

Explorer

I am too facing similar problem. does anyone know how can cloud manager on different host manage CDH ? Does this option available for enterprise free trial version and not for cloud express?

Master Collaborator

Are you trying to move cloudera manager to another host/database type? Or just re-locate the cloudera manager server?

Explorer

Hi,

Its a fresh install. (manual, Installation path B). Only the thing I have not installed cloudera manager on same host where CDH is installed.

Cloudera manager is installed on diifferent host. CDH is installed on different host. Cloudera manager agent is installed on VM where CDH is installed.

Using external postgresql databse

Master Collaborator

Ok so flat out, if the CDH cluster is new along with the CM install... the whole point of CM is to deploy and manage CDH, so installing CDH by itself basically lays down configuration that can not be ingested automatically into CM.  For a one node cluster, it should be possible to add a node via CM (add host) and then deploy CDH over that.  Any significant configuration changes you made directly in CDH as far as non default settings, can be configured within CM.

If there is significant data in the CDH one node cluster you have, distcp can be used to copy data from CDH cluster to CM manage clusters CDH.