Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to install Cloudera manager in an AWS VPC>

New Contributor

I am in the process of installing Cloudera manager on an EC2 instance in a VPC.  During the process I am prompted to login to complete the installation, but the address given is private to the VPC; i.e., invisible to my browser which lives outstide of the VPC.  I have attached a public IP address to the VPC.  How do I get the CM to use the public IP address.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New Contributor

Let me answer my own question.  You have to be inside the VPC to install the CM as I found out.  There is no need to redirect CM to a public IP address.

Turns out this is a non-issue.  Sorry I took up the space.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

New Contributor

Let me answer my own question.  You have to be inside the VPC to install the CM as I found out.  There is no need to redirect CM to a public IP address.

Turns out this is a non-issue.  Sorry I took up the space.

Hello, I'm also installing Cloudera Manager on EC2 inside a VPC. Have you tried to launch new instances nodes from Cloudera manager? I wonder if those instances get created inside theVPC or outside.

Thanks

New Contributor

Not sure that I understand your question, so I will first give a strict answer and then add to that.  So first, one cannot launch an EC2 instance from Cloudera manager.  The only way to launch an EC3 instance is from the AWS dashboard or use a CLI command or script. 

It may be possible that you are asking can I add server nodes to a cluster once it is running.  To date I have not been able to create a cluster, but based on the user interface, it appears that you can add servers if you have already launched one or more EC2 instances.  Specifically, the first step to adding server nodes to a cluster is to find/provide the IP addresses, which of course,means that the EC2 instances must be launched and running.  Additionally, the instances that will be added must of necessity be in the VPC in which the Cloudera Manager exists and hence the cluster as well.

Hope this helps

Mike

Hi Mike,

I was talking about the wizard that Cloudera Manager has to automatically create new EC2 instances  for you. You only need to provide your AWS credential keys. Anyway, it looks like this wizard only works when you access the CM through a public ip.

I was able to manually create instances and attach them to the cluster.

Thanks