Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Installling Cloudera Manager in Debian 8 jessie

Explorer

Hello Cloudera Community,

I'm trying to intall cloudera manager in debian 8 jessie OS, and during the processing of the installation by running the cloudera-manager-installer.bin  i had this error

Capture2.PNG

*Then i checked the log file mentionned in the error message , i had this :

Job for cloudera-scm-server-db.service failed. See 'systemctl status cloudera-scm-server-db.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.

*To know more about the error , i run the command mentioned in the log file ,and i had this :

● cloudera-scm-server-db.service - LSB: Cloudera SCM Server's Embedded DB
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/cloudera-scm-server-db)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since ven. 2018-04-06 15:05:06 CEST; 6min ago
Process: 29977 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/cloudera-scm-server-db start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

avril 06 15:05:06 SRVSTGHOST runuser[29987]: pam_unix(runuser:session): session opened for user cloudera-scm by (uid=0)
avril 06 15:05:06 SRVSTGHOST cloudera-scm-server-db[29977]: initdb : nom de locale invalide (« en_US.UTF8 »)
avril 06 15:05:06 SRVSTGHOST runuser[29987]: pam_unix(runuser:session): session closed for user cloudera-scm
avril 06 15:05:06 SRVSTGHOST cloudera-scm-server-db[29977]: Les ... failed!
avril 06 15:05:06 SRVSTGHOST systemd[1]: cloudera-scm-server-db.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
avril 06 15:05:06 SRVSTGHOST systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Cloudera SCM Server's Embedded DB.
avril 06 15:05:06 SRVSTGHOST systemd[1]: Unit cloudera-scm-server-db.service entered failed state.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer
Hello,

I finally resolved the problem.
When i run "locale -a" command i had only "fr_Fr.ut8" , but when i added "en_US.utf8" and i set it as default ,i run again the cloudera-manager-installer.bin and it works .

Thank you so much for your help .

Youssef

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Explorer

Can anyone help me please ?

Super Collaborator

Hi Youssef,

Well, that error message isn't very helpful.    Let me try this myself.   I assume you are running on Debian 8.9 and trying to install Cloudera Manager 5.14.1.

Tina

Explorer

Hello Tina,

Thank you for you message . Definitely i'm trying to install CDH in debian 8.4 .If that error isn't much helpful i can show more .

Youssef

Super Collaborator

Hi,

I just did an install on Debian 8.4 and it worked.  My exact commands.

wget https://archive.cloudera.com/cm5/installer/latest/cloudera-manager-installer.bin
chmod 777 cloudera-manager-installer.bin
./cloudera-manager-installer.bin

Try looking at all the install logs in  /var/log/cloudera-manager-installer/

Maybe one of these logs will show you why the PostgreSQL database is not installing correctly or starting.

Tina

Master Guru

@Youssef,

(1)

Make sure you have selinux disabled.  cloudera-scm-server-db will fail much like you showed if selinux is enforcing.

(run sestatus to check status)

(2)

Check /var/log/cloudera-scm-server/db.log

It may have more failure info

(3)

Check /var/lib/cloudera-scm-server-db/data/pg_log

It may have files containing information regarding failures of some sort.

Explorer

Hello,

I tried to remove all cloudera files and uninstall postgresql database and i checked the selinux ,which is disabled  ,after that i started from the beginning as tina mentionned is the message , but i still have the same problem;the installation failed to start Embedded Service and configuration Database .

Master Collaborator

@Youssef

Process: 29977 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/cloudera-scm-server-db start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

avril 06 15:05:06 SRVSTGHOST runuser[29987]: pam_unix(runuser:session): session opened for user cloudera-scm by (uid=0)
avril 06 15:05:06 SRVSTGHOST cloudera-scm-server-db[29977]: initdb : nom de locale invalide (« en_US.UTF8 »)

The error _may be_ related to the embedded PostgreSQL our script is using, as this is _not_ a common message to see.

The script (initialize_embedded_db.sh) attempts to initialise embedded PostgreSQL using the 'initdb' command [3] and the command is failing with the following message "initdb : nom de locale invalide (« en_US.UTF8 »)". 

- How is your Debian locale configured as [0]? 

- Have you made any locale changes recently [1]?

- Also review the topic "22.1.3. Problems" in [2] using the steps I've provided below.

e.g.: testing this command succeeded in my node - see [3] for what each parameter represent

sudo -u cloudera-scm echo -n "password" > /tmp/generated_password.txt
sudo -u cloudera-scm initdb --pgdata "/some_tmp/folder/to/test/data" --encoding=UTF8 --locale=en_US.UTF8 --auth=md5 --username="cloudera-scm" --pwfile="/tmp/generated_password.txt"

[0] https://wiki.debian.org/Locale ; see "dpkg-reconfigure locales"

[1] https://serverfault.com/a/491502

[2] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/locale.html

[3] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/app-initdb.html

Explorer
Hello,

I finally resolved the problem.
When i run "locale -a" command i had only "fr_Fr.ut8" , but when i added "en_US.utf8" and i set it as default ,i run again the cloudera-manager-installer.bin and it works .

Thank you so much for your help .

Youssef

Super Collaborator
Great! Glad you figured it out!