New Contributor

Manager doesn't start due to JVM PermGen and JVM MaxHeap

Hey there,

i'm doing a fresh installation of Cloudera 5.6 on Ubuntu 14.04 and am following installation path B. Everything went smoothly until now. When trying to start the manager via

sudo service cloudera-scm-server start

i get this response:

/etc/init.d/cloudera-scm-server: line 292: [[: [error] JVM PermGen is set less than 256m, CM server may run out of PermGen space. Update CMF_JAVA_OPTS in /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server to fix this.: syntax error: operand expected (error token is "[error] JVM PermGen is set less than 256m, CM server may run out of PermGen space. Update CMF_JAVA_OPTS in /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server to fix this.")
/etc/init.d/cloudera-scm-server: line 292: [[: [error] JVM MaxHeap is set less than 2G, CM server may run out of Heap space. Update CMF_JAVA_OPTS in /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server to fix this.: syntax error: operand expected (error token is "[error] JVM MaxHeap is set less than 2G, CM server may run out of Heap space. Update CMF_JAVA_OPTS in /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server to fix this.")
Starting cloudera-scm-server:  * Couldn't start cloudera-scm-server

But when looking into /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server the PermGen and MaxHeap are set to 256m respectivly 2G and even changing it to higher values doesn't have any influence on the problem. Any ideas?

Regards

New Contributor

Re: Manager doesn't start due to JVM PermGen and JVM MaxHeap

Same  at me. Frech Cloudera Manager 5.8 is just installed.

less /var/log/cloudera-manager-installer/8.start-scm-server.log
/etc/init.d/cloudera-scm-server: sor: 292: [[: [error] JVM PermGen is set less than 256m, CM server may run out of PermGen space. Update CMF_JAVA_OPTS in /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server to fix this.: szintaktikai hiba: operandus kell következzen (hibás token: „[error] JVM PermGen is set less than 256m, CM server may run out of PermGen space. Update CMF_JAVA_OPTS in /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server to fix this.”)
/etc/init.d/cloudera-scm-server: sor: 292: [[: [error] JVM MaxHeap is set less than 2G, CM server may run out of Heap space. Update CMF_JAVA_OPTS in /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server to fix this.: szintaktikai hiba: operandus kell következzen (hibás token: „[error] JVM MaxHeap is set less than 2G, CM server may run out of Heap space. Update CMF_JAVA_OPTS in /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server to fix this.”)
Starting cloudera-scm-server:  * cloudera-scm-server started

http://localhost:7180 is unaccessible.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am having a same problem. I found that the source of the problems is that the variables MAX_PERMGEN and MAX_HEAP were not defined in the start up script cloudera-scm-server. When I defined and initialized the two varialbes as follows in the script at the top after line 67, the probelm went away:

MAX_PERMGEN=256
MAX_HEAP=2048

However, I am having another problem and the script does not start.

Hope it helps.

Kihwang

New Contributor

I solved my issue by now. In fact it wasn't caused by MAX_HEAP and MAX_PERMGEN, but as it still throws a warning I will try your solution.

Thanks never the less!

Nolian

Expert Contributor

did anyone find the solution ?

Topics: 1
Kudos: 106
Solutions: 59

Hello,

The assumption that the JVM warnings were the cause of Cloudera Manager not starting was incorrect.

If you are having an issue with Cloudera Manager, I recommend starting a new thread and describe the problem.

We'll be happy to help.

Ben

New Contributor

Cloudera manager install was started on this way as root user:

./cloudera-manager-installer.bin

what can be wrong?

/var/log/cloudera-manager-installer/8.start-scm-server.log:

/etc/init.d/cloudera-scm-server: sor: 292: [[: [error] JVM PermGen is set less than 256m, CM server may run out of PermGen space. Update CMF_JAVA_OPTS in /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server to fix this.: szintaktikai hiba: operandus kell következzen (hibás token: „[error] JVM PermGen is set less than 256m, CM server may run out of PermGen space. Update CMF_JAVA_OPTS in /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server to fix this.”)
/etc/init.d/cloudera-scm-server: sor: 292: [[: [error] JVM MaxHeap is set less than 2G, CM server may run out of Heap space. Update CMF_JAVA_OPTS in /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server to fix this.: szintaktikai hiba: operandus kell következzen (hibás token: „[error] JVM MaxHeap is set less than 2G, CM server may run out of Heap space. Update CMF_JAVA_OPTS in /etc/default/cloudera-scm-server to fix this.”)
Starting cloudera-scm-server: * Couldn't start cloudera-scm-server

vga
Explorer

Hi Scheeri,

Did you find any solution for this problem?. I'm getting the same error. I'm doing fresh installation on ubuntu. Cloudera manager 5.8.2.

New Contributor

Hi, vga!
I've no any solution. Idid'nt take any help from this forum.
Topics: 1
Kudos: 106
Solutions: 59

The problem was that the following was accidentally left out of the init.d script:

MAX_PERMGEN=256
MAX_HEAP=2048

Future releases of Cloudera Manager will have the fix in it.  For now, you can edit /etc/init.d/cloudera-scm-server and add the above lines like this:

USER=cloudera-scm
GROUP=cloudera-scm
MAX_PERMGEN=256
MAX_HEAP=2048

After that, starting should complete without the error.

As a note, the errors do not stop Cloudera Manager from starting or functioning.

Let us know if you are seeing something different.

Regards,

Ben

Announcements