Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

SMTP configuration for Oozie

Expert Contributor

Hello everyone

I am trying to correctly configure smtp to send notification email through Oozie email action.

In Cloudera Manager I have set the following properties:

cm_smtp.pngdf

When I launch the action in Hue scheduler it fails with the following error

JOB[0000000-180130111414032-oozie-oozi-W] ACTION[0000000-180130111414032-oozie-oozi-W@email-e637] Error starting action [email-e637]. ErrorType [ERROR], ErrorCode [EM007], Message [EM007: Encountered an error while sending the email message over SMTP.]
org.apache.oozie.action.ActionExecutorException: EM007: Encountered an error while sending the email message over SMTP.
	at org.apache.oozie.action.email.EmailActionExecutor.email(EmailActionExecutor.java:297)
	at org.apache.oozie.action.email.EmailActionExecutor.validateAndMail(EmailActionExecutor.java:171)
	at org.apache.oozie.action.email.EmailActionExecutor.start(EmailActionExecutor.java:110)
	at org.apache.oozie.command.wf.ActionStartXCommand.execute(ActionStartXCommand.java:232)
	at org.apache.oozie.command.wf.ActionStartXCommand.execute(ActionStartXCommand.java:63)
	at org.apache.oozie.command.XCommand.call(XCommand.java:286)
	at org.apache.oozie.service.CallableQueueService$CompositeCallable.call(CallableQueueService.java:332)
	at org.apache.oozie.service.CallableQueueService$CompositeCallable.call(CallableQueueService.java:261)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:262)
	at org.apache.oozie.service.CallableQueueService$CallableWrapper.run(CallableQueueService.java:179)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.live.com, port: 25;
  nested exception is:
	java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out
	at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1282)
	at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:370)
	at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:297)
	at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:156)
	at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:105)
	at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:168)
	at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:98)
	at org.apache.oozie.action.email.EmailActionExecutor.email(EmailActionExecutor.java:293)
	... 12 more
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:339)
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:200)
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:182)
	at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
	at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:579)
	at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.createSocket(SocketFetcher.java:230)
	at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.getSocket(SocketFetcher.java:189)
	at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1250)
	... 19 more

I've tried both with Outlook mails (on port 25 and 465) and Gmail (ports 465 and 587) but all fail.

My cluster is on Azure, thus I've open in the network the ports 25, 465, 587.

Does anyone know how to properly configure smtp for Oozie? Do I need SSL/TLS enabled (actually is disabled)? In that case, can I use a self-signed certificate or do I need a certificate from a CA?

Thanks for any info!

2 REPLIES 2

Master Guru

@ludof,

The exception in the stack shows:

Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)

That indicates that a timeout occurred while trying to establish a connection with the server/port combination you specified.  I recommend trying to use "telnet" command to connec to the SMTP server host or port (from the Oozie host) or use tcpdump to help identify the problem.

The problem most likely lies between your Oozie host and the mail server.  Could be a firewall or some other reason the host you specified is unreachable from that location. 

Here is one page that explains how to use telnet against exchnage servers to test SMTP:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123686(v=exchg.160).aspx

Contributor

@bgooley Does oozie email action needs a firewall to be opened between slave nodes to smtp or just the oozie server to smtp?