Explorer

Using the CDH5 Virtualbox VM (cloudera-qs-vm-5.0.0-0) and Cloudera Manager is now failing to start

CM had been working but is now failing to start; appears to start but when I check status it shows as dead. The CM Web Admin Page shows the Loading message spinning with no resolution.

Starting via command line appears to work:

sudo service cloudera-scm-server start
Starting cloudera-scm-server: [ OK ]

But when I check status, server is dead:

[cloudera@localhost ~]$ sudo service --status-all | grep cloudera
cloudera-scm-agent (pid 9451) is running...
cloudera-scm-server dead but pid file exists

Stack trace in log (/var/log/cloudera-scm-server/cloudera-scm-server.log) shows:

2014-06-19 10:13:41,129 WARN [EventStorePublisherWithRetry-0:publish.EventStorePublisherWithRetry@195] Failed to publish event: SimpleEvent{attributes={CLUSTER_ID=[1], SEVERITY=[INFORMATIONAL], SERVICE=[ClouderaManager], COMMAND_ID=[789], COMMAND_RESULT=[Command 'Stop' failed for cluster 'Cloudera QuickStart - C5'], ALERT=[false], USER=[clouderaManager], MESSAGE_CODES=[COMMAND_FAILED_WITH_TARGET], CATEGORY=[AUDIT_EVENT], CLUSTER=[Cloudera QuickStart - C5], COMMAND_STATUS=[FAILED], COMMAND_ARGS=[RestartClusterCmdArgs{restartOnlyStaleServices=false, redeployClientConfig=false}], SERVICE_TYPE=[ManagerServer], COMMAND=[Restart], EVENTCODE=[EV_CLUSTER_RESTARTED]}, content=Command Restart on subject Cloudera QuickStart - C5 failed., timestamp=1403196216196} - 1 of 338 failure(s) in last 1804s
java.io.IOException: Error connecting to unknown0800270ffe88:7184
at org.apache.avro.ipc.NettyTransceiver.getChannel(NettyTransceiver.java:249)
at org.apache.avro.ipc.NettyTransceiver.<init>(NettyTransceiver.java:198)

So looks like it is attempting to connect to port 7184; this page shows that to be the Cloudera Manager Event Server:

hthttp://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CM5/latest/Cloudera-Manager-Install...

Checking the port I see nothing is running on it:

sudo netstat -tulpn | grep 7184

Not sure if it is related but I installed Mongo on the box, 2.4 previously (and CM was working) and recently upgraded to 2.6.2 and then CM stopped working.

Highlighted
Kudos: 380
Solutions: 282

Re: Using the CDH5 Virtualbox VM (cloudera-qs-vm-5.0.0-0) and Cloudera Manager is now failing to sta

The posted log is an aside warning that deals with a management service not running. It is not the reason for the CM server failure. Please post the log here, or check it's near-the-crash/end of log for the actual failure reason.
Announcements