Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

change from embedded to external database unclear

Contributor

Hello, all. Recently, I installed Cloudera Express to create a new cluster for some of our students. It seems in this version, there's a warning message on the Cloudera Manager:

You are running Cloudera Manager in non-production mode, which uses an embedded PostgreSQL database. Switch to using a supported external database before moving into production. More Details

I don't recall that from earlier versions of CM's website. Nevertheless, I took this opportunity to install external databases as described in the link referenced by More Details (which was http://tiny.cloudera.com/cm_db_config-5 )

However, despite my having created these databases and reconfigured the relevant configuration files (and confirming them through the Configuration/Database settings tabs, I'm still getting the warning message. Now, I realize I can also turn OFF that message in Configuration/General, but my question is: How do I know that my Cloudera Manager is actually running off the external databases? (I said to use external databases from the very start in the Wizard when running the CM website for the first time). I note that all three services

[ + ] cloudera-scm-agent
[ + ] cloudera-scm-server
[ + ] cloudera-scm-server-db

are running on the server which has the CM website, databases, etc.  I cannot stop the server-db daemon, it simply hangs till I quit, and then shows that it is still running.

Am I missing something? What else can I look at? Am I supposed to manually turn off that message? What is triggering it in the first place, if the Cloudera Express was installed with external databases to begin with?

Thanks,

Cindy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Hello Cindy,

An external database is one that is not on the same host as Cloudera Manager. We check additional parameters in our code to verify that the database is in fact non-local or not the embeded ones we install through deployment Path A. I included the conditions we presently look for in that response to you previously. Database migrations are complex, if you want to avoid this problem altogether you should follow deployment Path B especially for production environments where you will need to setup the RDBMS on your own externally.

Selecting external database and pointing at the same local database istances will not make your database an external one. The scm_prepare scripts you are pointing at take a variety of options. External databases will generally not use localhost because they are RDBM systems located on another host.

Generally speaking placing your database structures on application servers can be bad outside of POC conditions. If you are a licensed customer and need help please open a case with us.

---
Customer Operations Engineer | Security SME | Cloudera, Inc.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

New Contributor

Hi @Cindy, could you tell me where is the configuration option to switch that warning message off? I'm not finding it in the "Cloudera Management Service" options.

Thanks!

Contributor

From the status/home page of the Cloudera Web UI, I click on Administrations from the tabs along the top. Then choose settings. This gives me a configuration page. Read down the options here, for me the sixth one reads:

Enable Embedded Database Check. 

Uncheck it, and then Save Changes (button along the bottom right).