Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

issue with hadoop -bash: hadoop: command not found

Contributor

Hi Team facing a very strange issue with cloudera latest installation. I am able to view the HDFS directory from web interface, but when i run a simple hadoop fs -ls in putty shell , it says -bash: hadoop: command not found.  while i can see all HDFS files from web interface. Can you please help.

[root@hadoop-vm3 log]# hadoop fs -ls /
-bash: hadoop: command not found

Version: Cloudera Express 5.3.1 (#191 built by jenkins on 20150123-2020 git: b0377087cf605a686591e659eb14078923bc3c83)

Server Time: Feb 20, 2015 1:29:11 PM, Eastern Standard Time (EST)

Copyright © 2011-2014 Cloudera, Inc. All rights reserved.
Hadoop and the Hadoop elephant logo are trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation.

Go!

/user/hive/warehouse/cdr_test_demo_self_partition

Permission Owner Group Size Replication Block Size Name
drwxrwxrwtadminhive0 B00 B.hive-staging_hive_2015-02-20_04-40-09_720_8287848305105515146-1
drwxrwxrwtroothive0 B00 Bttime=2015-02-20
drwxrwxrwtroothive0 B00 B

ttime=2015-02-21

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

Thanks alot Gautam , its working fine now after restart , I can access hadoop file system @namenode machine  now from command line  . many many thanks for your help here !!!

By the way shall I run this command on data node as well ? i logged in to one of data node and its not able to recognize hadoop there 

[root@hadoopvm1 ~]# hadoop fs -ls /
-bash: hadoop: command not found

service cloudera-scm-agent restart ?

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Contributor

HI tarek 

you can try running this , this will fix the issue. 

service cloudera-scm-agent restart

Expert Contributor

i tried it but it doesn't work , but i got this fixed by copying all files in path /var/lib/alternatives from a working VM to the VM that has the problem , then restarted the agent and got it fixed , thanks so much 

New Contributor

Hi

I have CDH 5.3.1 installed on my machine.I am facing the same issue.I have followed all the above steps for deleting empty link,setting up environment variables etc.I think the problem is with incorret path to environment variables.

when i run /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.3.1-1.cdh5.3.1.p0.5/bin/hadoop status

the o/p is

/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.3.1-1.cdh5.3.1.p0.5/bin/....lib/hadoop/bin/hadoop:line 138:/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.8.0_40: Is a directory

/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.3.1-1.cdh5.3.1.p0.5/bin/....lib/hadoop/bin/hadoop:line 138:exec: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.8.0_40:cannot execute:Is a directory

It might be a silly mistake with paths setting.:(

New Contributor

Hi I am able to reslove some part of the error.I can execute all hadoop,hive,impala and hbase commands from

/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.3.1-1.cdh5.3.1.p0.5/bin.how am i suppose to link these directories in etc/alternatives to create symlinks?what is the use of these symlinks? how can i run the command directly from /home/cloudera?

In the CM UI everything looks good but when is start flume i get and error "Failed to start agent because dependencies were not found in classpath".I think this error is related to classpath configurations.Are symlinks involved with classpath .?

New Contributor

I was having same issue and was getting same error but when I was running any command through directory where I have installed CDH, I was able to run all the commands - hadoop, hdfs, spark-shell ect.

e.g. if your CHD installation location is - /dat/anlt1/cld/cloudera/CDH-5.8.3-1.cdh5.8.3.p0.2/bin

you can test -

$ cd /dat/anlt1/cld/cloudera/CDH-5.8.3-1.cdh5.8.3.p0.2/bin

[root@xyz bin]# ./hadoop and if it work then you need to set up environment variable in your Unix master server

For RHEL -

[root@xyz~]# echo "$PATH" /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin

[root@xyz~]# export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/CHD_Installation_bin_path

for me it's - /dat/anlt1/cld/cloudera/CDH-5.8.3-1.cdh5.8.3.p0.2/bin

[root@xyz~]# echo "$PATH"

/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin:/dat/anlt1/cld/cloudera/CDH-5.8.3-1.cdh5.8.3.p0.2/bin

to make permanent change -

$ echo "export PATH=$PATH:/dat/anlt1/cld/cloudera/CDH-5.8.3-1.cdh5.8.3.p0.2/bin" >> /etc/profile

after that restart(reboot) your server.