Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

problem of creating solr collection of cloudera search

Contributor

Hi all

I am testing CDH 4.4 on cluster with 25 nodes, already installed cloudera search, I have running solr servers correctly

but have problem with adding collections, I generated a skeleton of the instance directory:

[solr@hadoop ~]$ solrctl instancedir --list
collection1

after that creating collection gives an error:

[solr@hadoop ~]$ solrctl collection --create collection1 -s 2
Error: A call to SolrCloud WEB APIs failed: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
Content-Type: application/xml;charset=UTF-8
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:47:50 GMT
Connection: close

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<response>

<lst name="responseHeader">
<int name="status">
500</int>
<int name="QTime">
60012</int>
</lst>
<lst name="error">
<str name="msg">
createcollection the collection time out:60s</str>
<str name="trace">
org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: createcollection the collection time out:60s
at org.apache.solr.handler.admin.CollectionsHandler.handleResponse(CollectionsHandler.java:175)
at org.apache.solr.handler.admin.CollectionsHandler.handleResponse(CollectionsHandler.java:156)
at org.apache.solr.handler.admin.CollectionsHandler.handleCreateAction(CollectionsHandler.java:290)
at org.apache.solr.handler.admin.CollectionsHandler.handleRequestBody(CollectionsHandler.java:112)
at org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerBase.handleRequest(RequestHandlerBase.java:135)
at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.handleAdminRequest(SolrDispatchFilter.java:666)
at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:224)
at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:164)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrHadoopAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(SolrHadoopAuthenticationFilter.java:131)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:859)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:602)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
</str>
<int name="code">
500</int>
</lst>

</response>

have some idea?

thank you anyway Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cloudera Employee

Hi @shota

We will help you figure out the problem! 🙂

FYI,  if you are using CM; you needn't install any Solr packages manually. CM does the complete setup for you.

From what i understand from your previous comment, you installed some solr packages manually and just to make sure we are on right setup, executing "$ ps -elf | grep solr" should result in listing only one solr process running in your system.

Once you have confirmed this, you can try refreshing the entire service.. (Assuming you have no stored data in Solr)

• Stop the Solr service from CM
  • Restart the ZooKeeper service from CM
  • Issue this command "$ solrctl init --force"
  • Start the Solr service back from CM

Now you can try creating some collections.. 

-Vamsee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Super Collaborator

Hello,

It seems like it is timing out for some reason.  Can you try the following:

- First make sure that you can go to the Solr Admin UI on one host:

http://<hostname>:8983/solr/

- Once you confirmed that UI works.  Then try:

solrctl --solr http://<hostname>:8983/solr collection --create collection1 -s 2 

If that works, then it seems whichever Solr instance solrctl is getting from ZK is having an issue.  Perhaps check each UI to see if any aren't working or restart them all and try again?

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Chris

Contributor
Hi cconner thank you for reply
yes solr admin UI works and I tried restart service, but same error:

[solr@hadoop ~]$ solrctl --solr http://some.host:8983/solr collection --create collection1 -s 2
Error: A call to SolrCloud WEB APIs failed: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
Content-Type: application/xml;charset=UTF-8
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 06:47:15 GMT
Connection: close
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>
<lst name="responseHeader">
<int name="status">
500</int>
<int name="QTime">
60022</int>
</lst>
<lst name="error">
<str name="msg">
createcollection the collection time out:60s</str>
<str name="trace">
org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: createcollection the collection time out:60s
at org.apache.solr.handler.admin.CollectionsHandler.handleResponse(CollectionsHandler.java:175)
at org.apache.solr.handler.admin.CollectionsHandler.handleResponse(CollectionsHandler.java:156)........

Cloudera Employee

Hi @shota

This is more of a check rather than a solution...

Are you using Cloudera Manager(CM) to manage the Solr service? If so, please make sure CM reports the Solr service as green and healthy.

If you have installed Solr through packages(without CM), make sure there is only one Solr service running, by issuing the service "sudo ps -elf | grep solr"

Contributor

hello

yes I am using Cloudera manager. I installed Solr using yum(CM uses yum for installing, as I know) and after that I added Solr service in the CM and it reports Solr service as green and healthy.

I can not find any solution 😞

thank you

Cloudera Employee

Hi @shota

FYI,  if you are using CM; you needn't install any Solr packages manually. CM does the complete setup for you.

From what i understand from your previous comment, you installed some solr packages manually and just to make sure we are on right setup, executing "$ ps -elf | grep solr" should result in listing only one solr process running in your system.

Once you have confirmed this, you can try refreshing the entire service.. (Assuming you have no stored data in Solr)

-Vamsee

Contributor

@Vamsee wrote:

@Hi @shota

-Vamsee

It works Smiley Happy

thank you very much

Contributor

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue, and the proposed solution did not work.

When saving an index in hue search on a tab delimited file, in cloudera CDH 5 i get this error:

{"message": "Could not create instance directory. Check if [indexer] solr_zk_ensemble is correct in Hue config and look at the Solr error logs for more info.", "traceback": [], "detail": "None", "title": "Error"}

Been searching for this everywhere, with no fix so far.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken.

New Contributor

First, try to index only couple of records.

If that doesn't work then recheck the data values and data types used.

If it works then index the data in small batches ... I faced a similar issue if more than 200 records are indexed.

Explorer
I am trying to install cloudera search in ubuntu 12.04 using
sudo apt-get install solr-server and not manager

The CLI says there is no such package. I have gone through ur installation guide but donot understand why there is a problem.

Kindly help.

Regards,
Sushant